Dropped a valve

Old 11-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: valve

Originally Posted by contagious
There is no contact piston to valve,did the math and checked with clay,over 100 thous on the exh and more on the int.The other seven cylinders and valves are clean ,no contact marks on pistons or valves.The Rocker geomertry need's to be checked very well as i'm the one that set it up as well,there was a little off center movment if i remember,but nothing off the tip.needs checking again for sure.Thanks for the help.!!
Correct valve train geometry is the geometry that produces the least amount of sweep on the valve tip.

It doesn't matter if it is centered on the valve or not. Set the pushrod length so the valve and rocker centerline form a 90 deg angle at 50% lift and you will be really close.

In order to put the roller in the center on any of mine the pushrod had to be way too long. They are usually offset toward the inside.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I'm telling on myself here, and it may bite me in the butt, but i built a 481" a couple weeks ago for a person in Ms. He brought me a set of BB2 Extra heads that the person who did the work on them used recessed retainers and super 7 locks. I dislike these retainers because it's necessary to use a longer push rod for the rocker to clear the retainer. I put it together and had trouble getting a good geomertry on the exh valve useing available push rods from Comp cams. The ent. came out good, but i'm still concerned about the exh geomertry, i had .120 int clearance and .190 exh. clearance with the pistons. The whole engine was a nitemare, it had a cross drilled chevy steel crank, the weakest that GM ever made, it had Speed Pro dome pistons, probably 800 grams and the block had 3 Helicoils in it. But WoW :shock: it had Lunati Promod rods, i just hope it lives. I know a person who spent tons of money on a 406" sm/blk (2 times) and neither lived more than a few passes. He then put togother a junk yard 406 and lasted 2 seasons and ran better than either one of the good motors go figure.

Zip.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I got 20 sum passes out of my 1st BBC before roller lifter broke, cracked/dented the block in the cam tunnel,ruined the cam, beat up 2 of the rods around the cap where it smashed into lifter parts. So much crap went through it the crank had to be turned.

to make it worse the block was a december 69 cast 512 block(1970 ls-5)
Old 11-17-2010, 06:23 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Sorry guys, I'm done reading this thread. With all the bad luck going around I don't even want to think about mine comming apart. If it does I'm just gonna sit on floor and cry .
Old 11-17-2010, 10:09 AM
contagious
MASTER BUILDER

Default VALVE

While i have your attention,I used felpro mls heads gaskets on this build,first time using them.Can i reuse them,or should i get a new set.?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
I got 20 sum passes out of my 1st BBC before roller lifter broke, cracked/dented the block in the cam tunnel,ruined the cam, beat up 2 of the rods around the cap where it smashed into lifter parts. So much crap went through it the crank had to be turned.

to make it worse the block was a december 69 cast 512 block(1970 ls-5)
Todd, i'm almost betting you had horizonal lifter ties on that cam, i had that happen in the 80's with 7/16 push rods, it broke an end of the one of the ties. I'll never in my life time use horozinal tie lifters again.

Contagious, they say you can reuse the MLS gaskets, i've never ran them so i can't speak personally, but i do reuse Copper gaskets, as does every top fuel and top funny car owners do.

JMO

Zip.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

THEY were the verticle bar lifters from comp cams. Their cheaper ones."super roller lifters"

At that time I incorrectly thought that lash would get tighter when hot so I set the lash cold at .028 and .030 per the cam card. This was my first solid roller . My opinion is I probably had way too much lash when hot and beat the lifter to pieces. The link bar was broken and the lifter obviously turned sideways anf ground the cam up. The roller wheel was also in many pieces. don't know what broke first my guess is the roller. This was in 2002.

live and learn. ops: