Latest Chevy Hipo BBC head test

Old 05-16-2008, 02:57 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

I am not sure wha the deck thickness is with the RFD Edlebrock 24 deg conventional head. I know these are heavy duty though. I also know there is more than enough meat to do a .175 angle mill or more if needed with them. That brings the chambers down to a 102.5 cc size which with my Cutom EEP/BRC nitrous pistons and nitrous clearances ends up with a tad bit above 12.00 -1 compression. It actually measures with a 9 cc piston dome to be 12.22-1 compresion ratio.

I also know the flow sheets that come with the RFD head are real and good measurements with no advertising bull. We checked the head after the angle milling and the intake flow numbers in cfm and pattern came closer to matching Curtis' chart tan I would have thought possible. There was a slight difference in the exhast measurements, but for two benches in two different states to agree about the same heads on intake is totally unreal!

This was designed and built to be driven on the street with maximum nitrous horsepower as # 1 consideration, not N/A Power. It was built to do as much as 1,800 hp on N2o. On nothing but motor with Sunoco 110 we got 951 hp at 6,900 rpm and 786 ft lbs torque at 5,800 rpm . VE was 114% with big carb and carb was pulling 1351 cfm. IF it were designed and built as an all motor N/A Engine, no doubt in my mind the VE would have been more efficient and the Hp numbers would have been up.

Engine is a 622 cu in, Street/Strip/Car Show engine
4.625 x 4.625
Pistons are custom EEP/BRC 9 cc w/ lateral gas ports. wt-675 Gm
C.D. - 1.210
Pins -Hoffman Machine H-13 Tool Steel .180 taper weight 150 gram
Heads RFD EDlebrock - 2.350 In & 1.88 ex CNC
http://www.raceflowdevelopmnt.com
Intake Edlebrock Super Victor port matched only for test. Now w/ ported plenum by RFD. (not yet re-tested)
Rings are Total Seal 1/16 -1/16-.3/16 C-33 AP Stainless top- ductile second Std oil rings
Rods are GRP Pro- 5300 6.660
Lifters .904 - special Us Gear and Tool sold by Bullet/Ultradyne pressure fed rollers.

Cam design EEP/LSM
282 in @.050
304 ex @ .050
115 Lobe Separation
Cam lobes intake - .470
Cam lobes ex - .470
Quench/squish - .075

Had dyno problems with engine so now going back on dyno again with ported intake and problems solved. Horepower N/A ?? Who knows.

I know this. possibility of 1,000 or more Hp N/A with conventional heads if built as N/A. at 12.00-1 compression. At 11.00-1 compression this could be a 92-93 octane pump gas driver.

RFD Edlebrock Victor 24 Deg Heads ROCK
Thanks Curtis Boggs!

www.raceflowdevelopment.com
Old 05-16-2008, 04:29 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

Triniemi, Lots of Heads for a 509 would be good. I have built numerous bracket style 509's that make 850ish hp with Pro-1 325's that I have ported. I will jump on the Victor band wagon, you could even use a mildly done up 340cc version from Edelbrock. No need for custom cnc work. With a revised valve job, and some detail work, those heads will make 900+hp without being crazy on cam, compression etc. Maybe not on a 509, but, that 850 number would be easy enough. I think 850hp in that chassis, would scream. The newer Platinumn version of that 325 head, is pretty good. With moderate work, and a good valve job, 400+ cfm in a usable lift range is easy enough. I had one pump gas 496 make 780 hp with a set done up, with not all that wild a cam, and that was a 2.25 intake valve. They have potential, and, Curtis isn;t the only guy out there that can make power.

There are other heads out there that make power. Last year, on a tired short block, I did a set of Canfield 350's, with what I consider a bracket race cam, the engine was for a Super Street Chevelle, 10.90 index, and a bracket car. 580 cubic inch, under .800 lift, 14:1, a 1050 carb, that was totaly choking the engine, used primarily for response with the throttle stop, The Canfield 350 heads I ported, did a good valve job, with 2.325 intake valves, they moved 438cfm at .800, 441 at .900, and it was still a 45 degree seat, The port volume, ended up at about 375cc, after the ports were sized correctly for the application. The engine made 950hp and 785 ft/lbs. This was not set on kill, spun less than 7400 rpm, and was brutal.

The engine dominated a local heads up naturaly aspirated "real Street" type class. In complete street trim, dot tires, exhaust, 3600_ pounds, power glide, 4.10 gears, using a msd digital 7 to kill power out of the hole, to hook it, it still went low 9.40's high 9.30's at 144+, in 90+ degree heat. Make it 622 inches, and give me a real cam, and that thing would make some real steam. Those heads are actualy in Sweden now, going on a Pro-Charged engine and should run real well.

So, to answer your question, there are numerous heads that would work. Probably the best bang for the buck, would be mildly done Pro-1's, or the Edelbrock Victor 340cc, with some detail work.

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
Old 05-16-2008, 06:37 AM
cboggs
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by Pwmax
They have potential, and, Curtis isn;t the only guy out there that can make power.

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
Frank, I'd be careful throwing rocks, you don't have nearly
the experience I do, ..

RFD victor's typically make 1050 - 1080 from several of
my engine builder customers, .. on basic 565-582 bracket builds with single
carb and around .800" lift.

Curtis
Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 AM
cboggs
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
Originally Posted by triniemi
I stayed alive. Could Curtis or any other give me head recommendation for my 509? Looking for most bang for the buck, but also more power. I think aluminum heads alone are going to cut .1 out of my ET if they flow as much as the ported original Merlins. I think they are now with about 320cc intake runner.

Brodix bb2extra
That is always a damn good working head, .. doesn't flow well on the bench
and really doesn't "look" that good on the numbers but always
posts great power and on track performance, . .

I't would be at the top of my list for a 498 - 502 etc.

get it with at least the cnc chamber option.

I'm out, ..

Curtis
Old 05-16-2008, 07:40 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

I stayed alive. Could Curtis or any other give me head recommendation for my 509? Looking for most bang for the buck, but also more power. I think aluminum heads alone are going to cut .1 out of my ET if they flow as much as the ported original Merlins. I think they are now with about 320cc intake runner.
Maybe, maybe not. Aluminum heads dissipate heat at a much faster rate. Unless you up the compression, you may not make any more power, and in fact, could make less.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:52 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Maybe, maybe not. Aluminum heads dissipate heat at a much faster rate. Unless you up the compression, you may not make any more power, and in fact, could make less.
Actually aluminum is a heat sink and it does not give up heat very well at all.Iron dissapates heat better than aluminum.Go fire up two motors,one with iron heads and the other with aluminum,shut them off after they are warm and come back in 10 minutes.You will see which it still hotter.