My Running Scammer Diary

Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Default My Running Scammer Diary

Well I finally got bit by a Scammer on another site, after doing an incredible amount of pre-purchase due diligence. So now I get to go after him- And honestly I am looking forward to it. I have some new techniques that I'd like to try.

Would the Forum users be interested in a kind of running diary as I chase him, and the techniques that I am planning on using? If you feel it might be useful, I will do some regular posts on the issue, but I dont want to take time from the regular RJ users who need assistance as it did not happen on this site.

Let me know and if the feedback is favorable, then I will keep you regularly updated- that is if he hasnt already cried uncle. I have been at him for a few days lol.

Scorp
Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

thats a great scorp! that kind of information could be helpfull to a lot of people who get caught in that scenario. I am in, lets see if you can get some results.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 AM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

I would be interested to find out to handle something like that.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Kpcomb
JOURNEYMAN

Educate us Scorp!!!! These Scammers have to be stopped!!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

I'll post a longer piece tonite, covering the due-diligence process I used-(not fool-proof), and then my approach to recovery as well as links to sites in the following days. If it is useful, perhaps the Mod's can put a sticky on it for other folks to use.

It took me about 5 minutes to locate his parents, who very kindly provided me with his exact location and phone number. different city from his mail drop-though I have a hunch thats his girl friend. I will be going after her next.

This evening I will be checking Court Records in Ohio. I have a feeling based on an email from him that he is involved in a divorce case, and I will hopefully be on the phone to his ex-wife and her attorney within the next 24 hours. I think a little joy from his bitter ex is in order dont you think?

Scorp
Old 04-15-2009, 11:07 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Yes i sure do :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: Go getem ''scorp''

'' JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM
etdidit
APPRENTICE

Default Scammer Diary

DEAR DIARY---YES! Most of us can gain a lot from this. My situation is stalled out-going nowhere. ALTERD526 has cut off all communication and so far the web sites suggested to me to get an address on him have failed.
Thanks Scorp for being willing to help some scammer victims!.......E.T.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Sick em' Scorp!!

You are knowledgable about this kind of thing already.. you can really help some people who might otherwise give up to the bureaucracy & legal ramifications with pursuing a scammer. Go for it!! Scooter
Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Default Here is my First Diary Entry

First of all no gauratees that everything or anything will work for everyone. Second, you will have absolutely no leverage with anyone who doesnt have "skin in the game", so if you get an email from a Nigerian Scammer and then send money- write it off its gone.

Before I start in on my target scammer-let me outline the criteria that I use for internet deals.

If I want to buy something posted on a website I am looking for a few things:

1) Is he a website member? I want to know this because to join a website he provided the website personal info including a credit card. I know that later I might be able to get that info via complaint, subpoena or what not.

For example in the case of RJ it means more to me that someone is a member than who has made honor payments. A scammer could set up an elaborate scam and actually make some honor payments, but if he joined the site? He's revealed some info about himself and I WANT IT.

2) Does he have friends? Most websites have a friends option. I want to see he has friends, because I can go through them to get info on him. Friends dont like to be accomplices so they will either provide info, or they might message him. Peer pressure can be a wonderful thing.

3) I look for Board posts. If he is posting then he's part of the community, has built relationships and maybe friendships. Those things are hard to walk away from and generally won't be risked by a seller.

So if you meet those criteria, then I'll probably buy from you. My scammer met all three so he looked safe. However he wasn't.

So what did I do?

I pm'd him about my manifolds and received excuse one- I've been sick. So I waited a week, still no manifolds. I pm'd him again.

The next excuse I received was I shipped to the wrong address. I waited another week. Still no manifolds. PM'd again and got excuse I have had court issues and have been indisposed. OK, I wait another week- no manifolds.

Now its time to attack.

First thing I did was gather all info to see what I had. I had a name and and address and I could PM or email him through the site. Not enough info. I checked his profile and got his state and city. OK helpful.

I then did a www.whitepages.com look-up on the address I sent the check to looking for a phone number. I found one and noted it. I also saw that www.Intellius.com had some public records info on that person- OK more available info.

I then posted a message on a GENERAL bulletin board on the site (thats important-not a scammer board but general discussion), informing the population that I'd been scammed, asking for info and appealing to his friends to assist me as failure to do so would make them a partner to the scam. The general board is important because his friends might not visit the scammer board, but should hit the main board.

Guess what? I find out he's been doing it to others and his friends start emailing him (copy to me) and providing me info. I know have confirmed that his name isnt an alias. His friends dont like that he's been scamming others.

Back to Whitepages.com to look up his name, city and state. I get an address and phone number. Heres where it helps to be an actor.

I call the number and a guy answers. I say I heard that Mr. X is a great car builder and was wondering where I could get in touch with him to discuss a job for him to build a car. I find out I am talking to his parent, who volunteers all sorts of info and gives me another number for him.

Back to Whitepages to look up number- Its a cell and in a different city. OK, so I call from my office line and leave a message that I am interested in hirirng him for a hot rod build.

So now I know his name, where his parents live, multiple phone numbers, and have guessed that the woman I sent the check to is his girlfriend. I then go back and re-read the emails- I note a comment about Court - (Always chat up the seller and try to get personal info and write it down or save the email).

Now all states make court cases public record. I do a search, find his states database, more info and a plaintiff and attorney name available to be found if he's in Court- Big deal here- Why? because if he's in court, whatcha think his wife's attorney is going to do when he finds out that the other party is a reputed Internet Scammer?

If I cant get it from the database, then I need to call the Court to vouch records- The State AG might as well if the purported Scammer has a business.

Now I know a bit more- So I call the house of his parents and get little brother who tells me target is out. I tell him shame because I will be filing legal papers with regard to him, his Custody case and his girlfriend as an accomplice to fraud. Guess what?

My prey is on the phone. I then had at him, professionally, and in a very quiet low voice. My next post will expand a little; but I told him that Hell is coming for him and I was delivering it personally. When I mentioned my letter to his spouse and her attorney, he got very quiet.

More later, I've had my foot on his throat all day and am tired.

Scorp
Old 04-15-2009, 04:25 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Scorp this is great. Keep the pressure on him and keep us posted. Man i knew i liked you for a reason.

Good luck my friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -