454-0.30 bbc

Old 09-09-2007, 06:26 AM
tussi
SHOW GUEST

Default 454-0.30 bbc

HI,i am from Norway.

I have a 79 malibu with a 454 bbc engine,the car goes 8,4 with 3.90 in the rear and 7.8 sec on 4.56 and i need some advice of what i need to do ,to go about 7.0 sec in the 1/8 mile and still be able to do some street driving.(NO GASS)
DATA-Bloc 1972 hp 2 bolt-heads flow prep LS 6 hp open camber rect ports-hydraulic roller lift 612 int exh duration 245 comp cam-and crane cams gold roller rockers-pistons 10.2 keith black-ingnition msd-inntake edelbrock ede 2927 and a holley dominator 1050 cfm.My converter stalls about 2200 rpm-572 hp on dyno and 413 rw hp at 5600 rpm I was tinking about a stroker kit-intake and carburator-stall converter or even new heads,so if sombody could help me save some buck so i get it rigth the firsth time i will be gratefull.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:42 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Tussi, since you didnt mention tranny I'll assume its a three speed, so if so I would put alittle more gear in it say a 488 and definetly more converter, a nine inch 4500 ought to help a bunch. Are you running slicks? Any numbers you can pick up on the 60 foot will improve the big time end substansially. Try jetting for your most mph and then go down one size. I know you said no gas, but adding a sinlge 150 shot would probaly get you in the 7'0s with no other changes, its the most bang for your buck and at that level is virtually harmless.
Goodluck, Charles
Old 09-09-2007, 02:00 PM
tussi
SHOW GUEST

Default 454-0.30 bbc

Originally Posted by cepx111
Tussi, since you didnt mention tranny I'll assume its a three speed, so if so I would put alittle more gear in it say a 488 and definetly more converter, a nine inch 4500 ought to help a bunch. Are you running slicks? Any numbers you can pick up on the 60 foot will improve the big time end substansially. Try jetting for your most mph and then go down one size. I know you said no gas, but adding a sinlge 150 shot would probaly get you in the 7'0s with no other changes, its the most bang for your buck and at that level is virtually harmless.
Goodluck, Charles
Thanks.my tranny is a th 400 hp,i will be racing in a class caled "BAD BOYS"and they dont use gas.would a bigger solid roller cam help me?and i use M/T Slicks.

Regards Tussi.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:25 PM
firestone
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I would also strongly recomend a higher stall speed on your converter. I beleive that the fact that you picked up as much as you did from a 3.90 to a 4.56 gear illustrates the need for a higher stall. .6 in the 1/8th is almost a full second in the 1/4. I could be crazy, but that seems like more than you would usually gain with a setup like yours. I have heard of similar cars going from 4.10 to 3.55 and only loosing around .15 in the 1/4. My guess is that your motor boggs so much off the line, the more gear you run just gets ou past the bogg sooner, so you go faster. If you got a converter that did not bogg, I think you would be fine with the 4.56 gear. All of the things you mentioned have the possibility of getting you more power, but no matter what you do, you need more stall. I would call comp cams, tell them your situation and see what they recommend for a converter. With the cam you have, I bet you could use something in the 3500 range. You may not to change anything else to get what you are after. Also, what do you have for exhaust?

Adam