Engine Builder ? or Not ?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:10 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Engine Builder ? or Not ?

The age old Phrase " I build my own engines "

Really ? IMO to be a builder you must make it ( lathe )..machine it in numerous ways...if your not doing this you ASSEMBLE your own engines...

I am curious as to how many true engine builders we have on the forum..I know of one so far and that is Zipper...for some reason I am thinking Curtis is also a builder.

Who else..?

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 07-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Not me!
I have assembled a few in the past.
I have had a trusted "engine builder" for 25+ years, every motor he has ever built for me still runs to this day. Has all his lathe's and equiptment in his shop and does not have to "farm" anything out.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

I just assemble though I would like to watch a builder go thru the entire process and see all the machine work performed.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:00 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Close BJ, but i still have to farm out the crank balancing and if the block needs line boring/honing i farm that out also. On the balancing, i do the rods and pistons and tell the crank guy the bob weight.
I've been fortunate to work in machine shops all my life and at present time i have available everything from 5 axes CNC mills to OD/ID grinders and CNC lathes to work with.
Plus i have thousands of dollars in inspection equipment so i know where every diminsion is before the block is assembled.
I know of a 1/2 doz. machine shops around here but the big racers all go to a machine shop in Hattisburg to get their engine machine work done.

Zip.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:13 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

I just glue together. :shock: ops: :roll:

My brother 'builds' them.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Old 07-15-2013, 04:02 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Just an assembler here. I use a guy with over 50yrs experience. His shop is so clean you could eat off the floor and never had a problem yet.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:13 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

To be perfectly honest I can't afford to build my engines. My motor cost way to much for me to make a simple mistake
and ruin a pile of $. I have taken mine apart several times when I hurt it (from being too rich on the nitrous), but Steve puts it back together. He was the one that talked me into building this heavy nitrous motor in the first place. I payed him our normal agreement to make it into an all out nitrous motor and he does the rebuilds / freshen ups for free labor or very little labor. Matter of fact he's been on me for several years to come to his shop and freshen it there with his help so I can do it when I need it overnight.

My motor guy is still a racing guy. He'll go with to the track with his engines and he will freshen them overnight while the owner / driver sleeps. You can go to bed with a hurt motor or burnt pistons and wake up in the morning with a fresh motor! He loves that kind of stuff!!

This reminds me of something he and I were just laughing about last week. A few years ago I switched from C16 to Q16. The motor would literally chock you and make your eyes water. I made him drive the truck so he'd fix it. Needless to say as soon as he could get back to the trailer he started snatching out the air bleeds in the carb and fixed it! lol He lived in WV and I was racing in south Ga, but he made the trip to watch me race and to help me out!! I couldn't get that kind of service from anybody else!!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

I assemble and if there is machine work needed, I use the same guy I've used sine 1997.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I assemble all my own stuff ....I have no way to machine it but I do all the clearance checks myself. Not with plastigauge either.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Now that's a loaded ?

I build engines and there is a lot to an engine even after its been machined that has to be done.

I do a lot of work to my engine before it hits the machine shop. I don't consider a machinist that works with machines (lathe as you put it) or any other machines a engine builder, just because he or she can run a lathe don't make them an engine builder. I know I few good builders that have there machine work done at a different shop.

So like Zip what dose that make me. Bj you and so do a lot of other people anyone can put one together but staying together is another thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -