mail dump!!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

If you set up any form of security that will intentionaly cause harm to someone it is considered booby traping.

O'K i have to ask :?: if you install Razor wire or Barbed wire on your fence is that also booby trapping :?: because it for sure will cause intentional harm. I know it wouldn't work on a mail box, which was the original post. Again i'm so glad i live where i do, in an area so peaceful,(want buy a little house 1340 sq ft and BIG shop 2400 sq ft), that it makes headlines when there is a B&E. Around here about the only calls the cops (2 in all) is when some farmer or employee get drunk and goes off on his wife, and the word spreads like wild fire and he can't hold up his head when out in public for the next month.

Zip.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:10 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Thats a good question Zip! My whole property line is surrounded by some old school barbed wire thats been there since the early 1900's. It still stands proud in a few spots and would cause some serious damage.
I said something to my buddy yesterday, he didnt say much except our friend who's a county sheriff helped him dig the hole, pour the concrete and wire the mailbox. Thought that was a little ironic.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

be defined as any concealed or camouflaged device designed to cause bodily injury when triggered by any action of a person making contact with the device. This term includes guns, ammunition, or explosive devices attached to trip wires or other triggering mechanisms, sharpened stakes, nails, spikes, electrical devices, lines or wires with hooks attached, and devices for the production of toxic fumes or gases.

If a person sets up such a trap to protect his/her property, he/she will be liable for any injury or death even to an unwanted intruder such as a burglar. It is illegal to set a booby trap on one's own property to prevent intruders.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

now what if there was say a small high voltage sticker say 1"x2" then technically wouldnt be a hidden booby trap
Old 03-29-2011, 06:41 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
If you set up any form of security that will intentionaly cause harm to someone it is considered booby traping.

O'K i have to ask :?: if you install Razor wire or Barbed wire on your fence is that also booby trapping :?: because it for sure will cause intentional harm. I know it wouldn't work on a mail box, which was the original post. Again i'm so glad i live where i do, in an area so peaceful,(want buy a little house 1340 sq ft and BIG shop 2400 sq ft), that it makes headlines when there is a B&E. Around here about the only calls the cops (2 in all) is when some farmer or employee get drunk and goes off on his wife, and the word spreads like wild fire and he can't hold up his head when out in public for the next month.

Zip.
don't know John with todays technology It wouldn't be hard to find out if that would quailfy as booby trapping or not...I will say how many residential fences do you see wrapped in razor wire vs. barb wire ??..if i were trying the case I think the harmful intent with razor wire would be easy to prove..plus barb wire is used to keep animals in not out..so I would make sure I had cows, goats or something in my yard with that type of fencing.on the other hand razor wire is designed to keep hard core criminal inside and will cause serious body harm and death.....you can't walk into the home depot and buy a spool of razor wire...lol....the law is pretty much spelled out for what is boobing trapping. In reponse to a deputy sheriff help installing a booby trap device it obvious to me he doesn't know much about this law or what penalty it carries or he would have ran from this project.
as far as playing around with the fine symantics of what would qualify as a boobytrap or not coming down to a sticker or otrher verbal written warning.. I personally wouldn't chance it but people can Choose to do whatever they choose to do...we live in a free nation just prepared to pay the price if your wrong...both Criminaly and Civally...according to the law ignorance of the law is no defense.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

had a city cop say we could put up electric fence in city to keep neighbor kids out (ugly story) but had to have it clearly marked but didnt do it
Old 03-30-2011, 04:58 AM
wrightway
SENIOR BUILDER

I asked one of are city officers if it would be against the law to fire off a few blank rounds or a starter pistol as they run away next time just might scare a punk kid strait. His reply was well if I let you do it than I have to let other people kind of opens a Pandora’s Box. :roll: I hate it when they give there opinion and not the actual law! I will be looking in to it.