stud girdles

Old 01-29-2009, 01:53 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Default stud girdles

How important are they and can i gain any horsepower by using them?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:15 AM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

i have never seen it but under high hspwr the valve train flexes and
the stud girdle keeps them in place under pressure, keeps the push
rods from going out of whack, there might be more but this is what
i was told back when i first started racing, good luck :wink:
http://www.catpep.com/catproducts/ro...studgirdle.asp
Old 01-29-2009, 06:42 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by signsbyesa
i have never seen it but under high hspwr the valve train flexes and
the stud girdle keeps them in place under pressure, keeps the push
rods from going out of whack, there might be more but this is what
i was told back when i first started racing, good luck :wink:
http://www.catpep.com/catproducts/ro...studgirdle.asp
I've also heard that by the time you buy studs,girdles, rockers, pushrods, and guideplates, you could almost buy a good shaft set-up. I don't know but that's what i been told.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

WHERE WOULD ONE SEE THE VIDEO
Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I think if you're running over 200lbs of seat pressure on the springs you definately need to run a gurdle. I don't know if the valve train flexs without one but it definately ties the studs together and helps prevent the studs from breaking or flexing as much.

JMO

Zip.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:50 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Girdle

The stud girdle does all the above and it also acts as an extra lock for your adjusters. A little extra insurance.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 AM
srwilson8074
SHOW GUEST

Default stud gurdles.

Would this apply to roller rockers as well? I want to make sure that my motor has everything that it needs to ensure long life. Any help or info is appreciated. :P
Old 02-18-2009, 09:17 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I think most of us guy's run them even with a flat tappet cam motor with 140# seat pressure. I know i do it's just added insurance to the rockers backing off and the studs moving around.

JMO

Zip.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I've seen tons of old BBC aluminum heads that have actually busted a big chunk out of the head surounding the stud boss too....When I had a set of the old 074's on mine I wouldn't even turn it over without the girdle on it after the valves were set the first time.

I've also heard that by the time you buy studs,girdles, rockers, pushrods, and guideplates, you could almost buy a good shaft set-up. I don't know but that's what i been told.

IF you were starting with nothing, as in no girdle,rocker arms, guide plates, studs etc then you will have almost as much in the whole mess as a you would a set of sportsman series Jesels or T&D shaft rockers.. but if you already have good rockers and guide plates etc then that's different story.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:44 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Sunset Racecraft racing engines does not run them and has great luck. Last year at Indy it was said that 75% of the sportsman class had Sunset Racecraft engines. There reasoning is that when you put a stud girdle on it pulls some of the rocker studs to where some are in a bind causing them to fatigue and later brake. Its is true you have a extra lock, but you also have to loosen an extra thing to adjust. But on the contrary, Reher Morrison builds a great engine and uses stud girdles. I believe there reasoning is that it takes the harmonics out of the valve trane that causes fatigue. I have one of each and both are great engines. I've not had to readjust either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -