to poly or not to poly?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 PM
bigpapparacing
SHOW GUEST

Default to poly or not to poly?

I am currently building a 29 model A rat rod.I was planning on running a 302 and a C4. My friend has a 55 dodge royal im planning on buying also to fix as a rat rod.anyway, it has the original polyspherical engine in it.I have never heard of one until now.my question is, should I put the poly in my 29 and be different and cool or keep the 2 dr. hrd. top royal an original numbers matching car even if im not planning on doing a full restoration on it.both cars will be pretty much daily drivers.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:36 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

id say keep the dodge original if collector ever bought it from ya stand to make more off it but thats my personal opinion
Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I agree if the body is in good shape keep it in it :!: :!:

Mark
Old 01-11-2011, 05:57 AM
bigpapparacing
SHOW GUEST

That was my original opion to, but then I got researching about the little poly and thought it would be cool to use as a period correct engine swap as so many hot rodders did in the, 50's.I think I will keep the dodge original though and see if maybe I can find just a poly engine somewhere.thanks guys.I still would like to hear more from others though.i'd really like to know of the poly's performance potential?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

The 'performance potential' is very minimal as it was not designed with 'performance' in mind. Besides there is almost ZERO hi po parts available. Your basic camgrind can be had from any grinder, heads can be opened up and 'blue printing' the rotating mass and block is about all you can do. I don't even recall seeing any sort of aftermarket intake manifolds offered for it ! It would all certainly go under the 'period correct' heading as it is all basic hotrodding engine preparation. Try to find a builder that is either still running or has NOT been exposed to the elements( can still rotate) as the pistons could be frozen in the cylinders.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 AM
bigpapparacing
SHOW GUEST

I keep reading that you can use the newer engine cranks and rods and even striker assemblies in them? Has anyone else heard or read this bit of info? If I can that to me seem like performance potential in itself. As they have always crammed the saying " their are no substitution for cubic inches " down my throat.lol.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:09 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.camcraftcams.com/archive/...rysler-318.htm

-------
Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bigpapparacing
I keep reading that you can use the newer engine cranks and rods and even striker assemblies in them? Has anyone else heard or read this bit of info? If I can that to me seem like performance potential in itself. As they have always crammed the saying " their are no substitution for cubic inches " down my throat.lol.
There is a substitution for cubic inches. It comes in a bottle. lol
Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

or turbo or super charger ect
Old 01-14-2011, 05:11 AM
bigpapparacing
SHOW GUEST

Lol.yea that's one reason why I was trying to find out about the newer stroker kits so I find some forged guts for it. Then put a procharger on it, and see how the old gal will scoot.