Engine Rebuilding

Old 10-03-2009, 08:23 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks for the info. I live in a small town so I will prolly have to take it to a Snap-On guy or take it to Reno.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:25 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks for the info. I live in a small town so I will prolly have to take it to a Snap-On guy or take it to Reno.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Tools

Originally Posted by fla1976
If you have a SnapOn or Mac tool salesman in you area , thay can usually provide the service. You can also check the Yellow Pages in your area under calibration services.
Will they only calibrate their brand or will they do any?
Old 10-03-2009, 06:06 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Rebuilding

Originally Posted by fla1976
I build my own engines as it is cheaper and I have faith in my abilities. If I had a high dollar engine, I would bring it to a professional. I have the tools to measure and torque the engine, so my low buck engines are not a problem. How many of you people that build your own are confident in your tools? I am a calibration technician and my tools are all calibrated. If I measure the journal on a crankshaft, I know that the measurement is accurate. My torque wrench is also calibrated. Having equipment that doesn't give you accurate readings is useless. Even if you know what you are doing, without the correct and accurate tools, you are taking a chance. That is why I would trust a professional, but I would check on his ability to make good measurements. JMO.
Fla1976 You made A post that is very accurate IMO.......I'm no different than you..i will assemble all my Low hp Stuff..as a matter of Fact i am working on a 406ci SBC right now (450 hp pump gas)..i have been on this sight for many Years and many of you that have Known me for this amount of Time know i Do all my own Work AND BEEN DOING IT FOR THE LAST 27 YEARS...except Bottom ends on my 4 second stuff and Tranny's..i am also a grass roots racer that has been fortunate enough to be able to bring professionals in when i need them..not that is all Money but i also happen to know some of the Top notch people in this racing industry and Live close To many of this heavy Hitters...so trust me its not about money all the time...but WHO YOU KNOW AND HOW WELL THEY LIKE YOU ! 8)

One thing i want everyone who reads this Post to remember...the man that made this Post just ask for individual Opinions No right or wrong or indifferent.... BUT he Doesn't have your Run of the Mil low Hp bracket Engine.....i mean for Goodness sakes...the mans engine is making close to 1,000 hp naturally aspirated..IF he puts a GOOD DOSE OF NOS on it and he's got a 1400/1500 hp engine (easy)..That could compete in the faster heads up classes ...and if he's not confident enough to do the Work he should seek a professional for this type engine...( IMO)

KOD99 i extend my apology to you for this post going in left field..this wasn't fair to you...and i can PERSONALLY assure you if you ever need advise again i will make sure the post stays on track.....Good luck My man !!!!

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Brian I hope you know that I wasn't at all disagreeing with you or arguing with your opinion.Just giving mine...but After Reading the thread again,it seems like you thought you were almost being jumped on for your opinion, but that isn't so. At least not by me you weren't.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:03 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 10-03-2009, 07:16 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
Brian I hope you know that I wasn't at all disagreeing with you or arguing with your opinion.Just giving mine...but After Reading the thread again,it seems like you thought you were almost being jumped on for your opinion, but that isn't so. At least not by me you weren't.
Well Tod Onebadgmc did accuse me of Discouraging Kod99 by giving My honest heart felt opinion...if that wasn't a personal jump i don't know what is.....i am sorry i could not in Good faith tell Kod99 to just jump in and try to assemble his 950hp BBC. ( like there could not be a disaterous outcome)....If KOD99 was so sure of his abilities to perform this task with no issues he would not have been on here asking people for Honest opinions and feedback.. and One other thing i picked up from his Post that some may not...is that i have enough experience to know any Naturally aspirated BBC making 950hp is gonna be an expensive set up...Not one i would want to experiment with my 1st go around

so i feel we all are somewhat responsible for giving our honest opinions to our members and not just going along with whats popular or sometime what we would do ourselfs as individuals.....what we do may not be Good for them.....again ( JMO)

For the record i thought nothing about anyone else Post other then Onbadgmc...i think that is Obvious, i have made no Bones about that from the start...with that said he (onebadgmc) is always welcome here.....No grudges held on my end....

thanks

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "