Starter running

Old 09-23-2007, 07:35 AM
hotrod1024
MASTER BUILDER

Default Starter running

I have 351w in 89 Mustang.Starter turns over fine,but after engine starts starter sounds like it continues to spin for about 3-4 seconds.Was told to run wire from ground to positive on starter.Has anyone ever heard of this?I just figure bad solenoid or bendix hangin up.Thanks,Randy.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:43 PM
hotrod1024
MASTER BUILDER

Nothing huh.Ill check back.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

OK, WHY WOULD ANYONE TELL YOU TO RUN A NEG TO POS TERMINAL, OR DID I READ THIS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO DONT DO THAT. replace the overrunning clutch, or( bendix) David.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:18 PM
hotrod1024
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks.Thats what i couldnt understand.I was told pos to neg.I have been around long enough to know better.Just thought i misunderstood and someone might know what he was talking about.Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I would check the mechanism that shifts the bendex inside the starter, sometimes they will drag and need freeing up, common problem with ford starters. If it still staying engaged its not the bendex but the drive for it.
take that one bolt off that holds the dust cover over the shifter mechanisim and see if it is free. It is engaged by the magnetic field created by the field poles inside the starter when it has voltage applied to it from the remote solenoid, when voltage is released it should snap back, (spring return) if it doesnt return quickly it will stay engaged in the flywheel.
Usually a few drop of oil on the shifter mechanism is all that's needed.
goodluck, Charles