Headers and Steering Shaft problem.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:37 AM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

Default Headers and Steering Shaft problem.

This may not be the right place to ask this but I need an answer. I have a 3rd gen camaro that be put a big block in. When I bought the car I was told the headers that came with the car would clear the steering shaft. Well it doesn't. I can't afford 1500 Lemon's headers to resolve it. Is there any other way without spending big bucks to clear the headers?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I'm sure somebody with some camaro experience will post soon, but this is what I used on my truck.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:32 PM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Headers and Steering Shaft problem.

Originally Posted by jreiley
This may not be the right place to ask this but I need an answer. I have a 3rd gen camaro that be put a big block in. When I bought the car I was told the headers that came with the car would clear the steering shaft. Well it doesn't. I can't afford 1500 Lemon's headers to resolve it. Is there any other way without spending big bucks to clear the headers?
how about some pics of what your working with
Old 06-26-2013, 03:48 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

make your own. it aint all that hard to do....
Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Headers

How many tubes interfere?

I put a BBC in a Chevette and used Camaro headers, only modifying 2 tubes. Just bought a couple U-Bends and cut out what I needed. I fitted it, tacked it together and then had a good Tig welder finish it up for me.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Probably the easiest is to install a Vega steering box. That's the usual way around all this . . .
Old 06-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Be careful if you plan to modify existing headers. Carefully check all the other gremlins too (plug clearance, height/ pan clearance, steering box, filter area, etc...) before you commit to alter them much... in case you get too invested in something you may not end up liking. Are they nice headers?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:16 AM
jreiley
MASTER BUILDER

The headers are ok. I got them with the car. They have been coated so they look ok. There is absolutly no room to fab a new tube for the front header. The cage extends all the way to the front of the chassis. The steering shaft rubs against the headers and makes it impossible to turn the wheel. I was thinking about turning down the steering shaft on a lathe.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

NO NO NO NO NO !
NEVER compromise safety and especially in your steering hardware ! Reroute the shaft or do some else . NEVER reduce the size of your shaft !
:shock:
Old 06-30-2013, 10:59 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TheYellaBrick
NO NO NO NO NO !
NEVER compromise safety and especially in your steering hardware ! Reroute the shaft or do some else . NEVER reduce the size of your shaft !
:shock:
i was thinking the same thing....! pics will really help us to see what layout and come up with safe ideas .... just sayin :wink:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -