355 circle track engine problems

Old 04-01-2009, 09:29 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

There's a big diff between a miss and a vibration. If the vibration is actually coming from the engine, I'd have to say you may have a bent or crack in your crankshaft. There isn't any chance someone put a external balanced flywheel or balancer after rebuild is there? I've also seen a vibration if your flywheel is cracked.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dgordner
Not the crank. New eagle rods and Ross pistons. All ballanced. The engine worked like a top the first race. The only thing I changed from the first race to the next was the battery. Since then I have changes all the cables as well.
Sounds like a high rpm dead miss.
I'd pull the plugs and look hard at the
porcelin on the exterior of the plug or around the center electrode.
I miss like that will make it vibrate like the dickens, especially if its more than one.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:12 PM
dgordner
JUNIOR BUILDER

The miss fire does come and go. The last race we couldn't stay out of the way so he brought her in. When it came time to load her in the trailor, the miss fire was not there. I am possitive it is a miss fire, I just can't figure out what is causing it. My son told me when he eases in to the throttle it is fine until he floors it for the straight. It is almost like it is ok in the two barrel but when requiring the four barrel it misses. However, do not take that last comment out of context as we only have a holly two barrel on the engine.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 PM
dgordner
JUNIOR BUILDER

What would I be looking for around the porcelin on the plug?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:41 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

You havn't added any new electrical components have you? I did a couple years ago took me most of the season to find it. I only had a miss under load and at higher RPM's. Do you run MSD stuff? If so get your hands on a MSD tester you can test everything through the entire RPM's you run without running the motor and not spend money on parts you don't need. Just a thought.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
dgordner
JUNIOR BUILDER

No new electrical components. Even unplugged the tach and still had it. I am going to replace the entire electrical in the car. Switches and all. I guess at that point I will know if it is electrical or fuel. Speaking of fuel, how would a fuel pump act when it starts going bad?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:13 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

what kind of Pump..mechanical carter ?

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 04-02-2009, 04:24 PM
DMotorsports8
SHOW GUEST

I HAD A NEW RACE CAR DO THE SAME THING AFTER I CHANGED ENGINES, THE ENGINE DIDN'T HAVE A GOOD GROUND, MY BATTERY SAT AT THE BACK BY THE FUEL CELL AND THE GROUND WENT TO THE CHASSI AT THE REAR SO THE ENGINE WOULD BREAK DOWN FROM 4000 UP IF YOU JUMPED ON IT. WE TOOK A GROUND WIRE WENT FROM THE BACK BOLT ON THE INTAKE TO THE CHASSI AND PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!! WE LOST 4 RACES OVER THIS........

BUD
Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
dgordner
JUNIOR BUILDER

The fuel pump is mechanical. I am not sure of the make. However it is not stock. It has been on the car for God knows how long. As for the ground, I ran all new cable on the negative side of the battery.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 PM
DMotorsports8
SHOW GUEST

DO YA RUN A FUEL PSI GAUGE? WHAT CARB IS ON IT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -