Choosing a BIG Cube BBC Street Engine

Old 10-31-2009, 04:00 PM
altailites
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Re: Choosing a BIG Cube BBC Street Engine

Originally Posted by nofear69
So I'm looking to buy a pump gas BIG Cube BBC for the street,how do I decide what to buy? Is there any advantage in a bigger bore or bigger stroke engine? Comparing bores and strokes is there a more efficient engine or easier one on parts compared to another? There are so many to choose from in the aftermarket world.

Hope this is right:
Size Bore Stroke Rod
540 4.50 4.25 6.385
555 4.56 4.25 6.385
565 4.60 4.25 6.385
582 4.60 4.375 6.535
598 4.60 4.50 6.535
What heads are you going to run? I ran most of them combos and I liked the 598 best. also put the longest rod you can in it you would be surprised how close the oil rigs get to the bottom of the cylinder .
Old 10-31-2009, 05:24 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Ya I think maybe a thicker cyl. wall might help with cooling morso than a thinner wall. If I add a 125 shot of nitrous a thicker wall would be smarter maybe too.

Which heads to use, Dart AFR Canfield Edelbrock? Alum. or case iron? Alum. would keep cooler but could you put more miles on a iron head and would iron be less maintenance as in valve guides and seats?

Also dual plain intake or open plenum,4150 or dominator? Eagle rotating,callies etc?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:03 PM
altailites
JUNIOR BUILDER

Ya I think maybe a thicker cyl. wall might help with cooling morso than a thinner wall. If I add a 125 shot of nitrous a thicker wall would be smarter maybe too.

Which heads to use, Dart AFR Canfield Edelbrock? Alum. or case iron? Alum. would keep cooler but could you put more miles on a iron head and would iron be less maintenance as in valve guides and seats?

Also dual plain intake or open plenum,4150 or dominator? Eagle rotating,callies etc?
I would run the brodix bb-4 heads or the dart 355s on the big ci motors. alum heads are fine for street use I never seen much difference in maintenance between the two. I never ran a duel plain intake on my big motors just the single plain with a dominator . callies or Briant will hold up to more power if you have the extra cash.hope this helps
Old 10-31-2009, 06:24 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

IMO I would go dart heads, single plane profiler intake, 4500 and an Ohio crank. Lots cheaper than Callies and good to 1500hp. You should have bought my old 548. One thing I will tell you is do not use a GM 502 block!!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:03 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Thats right I'm not even interested in a GM block. Yes they have their place but in my situation a Dart will be used. I think a Callies is the answer,all US made parts is my goal.
So far
Dart block
Callies rotating with H-beam rods
Pistons: JE or Ross? What else is US made?
Dart heads I guess determined on the cubic inch?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:31 PM
altailites
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thats right I'm not even interested in a GM block. Yes they have their place but in my situation a Dart will be used. I think a Callies is the answer,all US made parts is my goal.
So far
Dart block
Callies rotating with H-beam rods
Pistons: JE or Ross? What else is US made?
Dart heads I guess determined on the cubic inch?
I like diamond pistons . CP or Ross would be my other choices. and TheRabbit is right the new gm blocks suck
Old 10-31-2009, 07:43 PM
altailites
JUNIOR BUILDER

598BBC in my street vette . dart block,brodix bb5 heads,lunati crank, grp rods, diamond pistons . but you dont have to go this crazy lol
Old 10-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

what are the issues with the GM 502 block? I'm sure they are fine for a certain amount of cubes/power...what are there limits?
Old 10-31-2009, 08:05 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by altailites
598BBC in my street vette . dart block,brodix bb5 heads,lunati crank, grp rods, diamond pistons . but you dont have to go this crazy lol
Ok what are those lines goin ginto the intake?? I have never seen anything like that.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:16 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

the Good stuff Dirka ( nos)..two stage Fogger..with a real nice pro-systems Carb....(Good Stuff).....should pump out betweet 200. to 500 hp

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -