NEW BANK WIRE SCAM

Old 07-26-2009, 01:10 PM
RDRACINGINC
APPRENTICE

Default NEW BANK WIRE SCAM

Check with your bank whenever you arrange to receive a bank wire transfer before you send out your parts ect... to your buyer.

Latest scam is that the buyer will claim to have sent you a wire transfer, you check the next day and see the money in your account and send out the watch. In a day or two the money disappears from your account and you've been taken.

What happens is that the 'buyer' does NOT use a wire transfer (which is safe for the seller) but instead deposits a bad or fake personal check into the seller's account using the account number given him for the wire transfer. Once the seller sees the money in his account he sends the item. A few days later, the check bounces, the bank reverses the transaction, and the seller is left high and dry.

How to stop this from happening to you? Wire transfers are always marked as such in the transaction record, while deposits will only show up as a deposit. Call your bank to verify that the money deposited was sent via wire transfer, which is still absolutely safe. Otherwise, DO NOT send the items, even if the deposit clears, for it can take months for a fake or altered check or money order to be discovered and reported to your bank.

Be careful out there! thx r & d racing inc.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:51 AM
longm1958
APPRENTICE

Default wire transfer

I was recently looking for a magneto and had 2 guys from England try to have me wire transfer money to them. I told them ship C.O.D. through FEd Ex or UPS or forget it, never heard from them again. Imagine that.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:09 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

If there is a will there will always be a way to screw an honest guy.

Thanks for the info.......
Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 AM
mickethorn
SHOW GUEST

Default Re: wire transfer

Originally Posted by daffylong
I was recently looking for a magneto and had 2 guys from England try to have me wire transfer money to them. I told them ship C.O.D. through FEd Ex or UPS or forget it, never heard from them again. Imagine that.
Is it possible to send C.O.D to another country with another currency?
Just curious.