Data Acquistion System Comments

Old 08-15-2010, 03:14 PM
bigred1091
SHOW GUEST

Default Data Acquistion System Comments

Hello All...I would appreciate it if someone with experience with the Altronics Data Collection Systems would get back to me with real feedback as to how good the system was, ease of setup and use and any problems. I would like to see some feedback from you guys that are not trying to sell me another data collection system. I also need some feedback on this question: Is it better to use EGT sensors on the exhaust headers or Air/Fuel Ration sensors for tuning. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Here is some feedback from someone who doesn't give a crap what you buy. Go over to dragraceresults.com bracket talk forum. Quite a few guys over there who use their products.

Wasn't trying to sell you anything just showing I was familiar with the product I offered as an alternative. I don't try to sell things on this forum because that is not what it is for.

Have a nice day.

Curtis
Old 08-16-2010, 02:29 PM
bigred1091
SHOW GUEST

thanks for the help Curtis. Got some feedback from people trying to sell me another system. Haven't made up my mind yet but I'll still looking for what might be the best system. Again, thanks for your help!
Old 08-16-2010, 03:50 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: Data Acquistion System Comments

Originally Posted by bigred1091
Is it better to use EGT sensors on the exhaust headers or Air/Fuel Ration sensors for tuning. Thanks for your help!
Air/fuel ratio (aka wideband O2) sensors are better for tuning fuel but EGTs help with individual cylinder tuning and it helps you spot a cylinder that is misfiring or getting weak. IMO the best way to go is 8 EGTs and 2 O2s.

In the other thread you started on this I wasn't trying to push another system on you just stating what my research led me to buy and what I used as a guide. I never used the altronics data collection but would still have a look at the software for that system before I bought one. You also will want to look at the sample rate on the different data systems you are considering. The more samples per second the better data you will have. I think most of better systems sample at 100 SPS with some channels like shock travel sampling at a much higher rate. You also should consider the expandability of the system you are looking at. Some data systems will only allow for a limited number of channels. The only other thing I can think of is interface and OS compatibility. The most common and simplest interface will be a memory card, usually a sd card like a digital camera will use. All you will need for your computer will be a card reader which a lot of newer computers have built in but if yours doesn't you can pick one up for around 10 bucks.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 PM
bigred1091
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the info Chuck. Your recommendation for two O2 Sensors and 8 EGT's makes sense and cost less too. All the features you mentioned are included in the Altronics System and now, they also have a touch screen display but I don't really think I need that. I would just like to load a card into the laptop and readout info and store it for future use. I believe that I can install 8 EGT bungs and 8 O2 bungs on the headers (only use two but I can swap them around when needed). I also like the feature of using an AFR gauge and automatic ignition shutoff in the event of running lean (I will be running NOS as well). I like the Racepak stuff also but they are pretty expensive. I have heard that there has been problems with the RPM stuff but I haven't seen anyone with their system. Again, thanks and, if you have any more useful info, then by all means, send it along. Thanks Chuck!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:01 PM
bigred1091
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the info Chuck. Your recommendation for two O2 Sensors and 8 EGT's makes sense and cost less too. All the features you mentioned are included in the Altronics System and now, they also have a touch screen display but I don't really think I need that. I would just like to load a card into the laptop and readout info and store it for future use. I believe that I can install 8 EGT bungs and 8 O2 bungs on the headers (only use two but I can swap them around when needed). I also like the feature of using an AFR gauge and automatic ignition shutoff in the event of running lean (I will be running NOS as well). I like the Racepak stuff also but they are pretty expensive. I have heard that there has been problems with the RPM stuff but I haven't seen anyone with their system. Again, thanks and, if you have any more useful info, then by all means, send it along. Thanks Chuck!