Sheetmetal intake design & theory

Old 07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
mike572
APPRENTICE

Default Sheetmetal intake design & theory

Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to make a sheetmetal intake for some time now, but I'm so confused about the engineering behind it. and I'm also concerned if it will even work in my application, I have a 72' Corvette with a 468 bbc/4spd and the car is normally street driven. It has a hollow L88 hood which may help with some clearance issues. I was thinking it may fit if I mill the top of the carbs and put a foam rectangular air filter that meets the hood on it, like some drag cars use. I'm trying to make the car have a factory experimental racecar feel to it with certain touches around the whole car and this intake would almost be the centerpeice of the look i'm trying to achive. I would like it to be normal style with two smaller holley 4 barrel carbs on top if possible. I tig weld aluminum at a professional level and know my way around in sheetmetal fabrication, I'm sure I could make a decent looking intake if I could just figure out the design end of things. I would just hate to make the whole intake the wrong way. Anyway some nice people have helped me before regarding chassis design on here so I figured I would give this a shot. Any info I can get would be very much appreciated, maybe I can give you something in return if your able to help me.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 07-24-2009, 12:25 PM
RAPPTOR23
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default INTAKE

:lol: YOUR RPM AND POWER RANGE WILL BE THE MAIN FACTORS. SHORT RUNNERS FOR HIGH RPM. LONG ONES FOR LOW END POWER.VOLUME OF RUNNER WILL SET POWER RANGR. CROSS SECTION OF RUNNER WILL SET TOP RPM..INLET RADIUS ON EACH RUNNER IS IMPORTANT, NO SHARP EDGES. ABOUT 5/8 RADIUS IS GOOD ALL AROUND..STRAIGHT AS POSSIBLE.NO CORNERS OR POCKETS TO HOLD RAW FUEL.. RALPH
Old 07-24-2009, 07:58 PM
mike572
APPRENTICE

Ralph,

Thanks for the info, you wouldn't happen to know any equations for figuring out what you described would you? Or is there even any? And also might you know what effect the plenum volume and shape have on the performance?

Thanks again,
Michael