Tune Up advice 8:71 Birdcatcher & Mech Alk Inj, 110 PU

Old 08-03-2008, 07:47 PM
sprizefighter
APPRENTICE

Default Tune Up advice 8:71 Birdcatcher & Mech Alk Inj, 110 PU

This is my first experience with a blown alky engine. I have a 540 ci BBC Merlin three block with Big B. 3 Heads, 8:71 Hampton supercharger, Enderlie 110 Mechanical pump, Bird catcher, with only hat nozzles, Debating on the port. It's at 50 % overdriven and I don;t know much about the rest of the engine. It was an engine I purchased from Bowers in Co. It didn't have the rods, crank, or pistons I paid for, as well a host of other things. I saw that when I pulled the pan. The theif sent me Scat rods & Crank and pistons. instead of the Callies Crank, Manley Rods and Airies pistons he was paid for. BACK TO TUNE UP Compression ratio, Cam and Head details ?????Yhr engine required that I swap 4 and 7 plug wires to run. It sounds crisp, and strong but It is so rich. Where do I start?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

What size are your jets? Are you running alcohol or fuel? I run a similar application and the jet in the barrell valve is 110 on alcohol.

Bird or buzzard catcher?

Do you feed fuel at the catcher and in the intake or just at the catcher?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:19 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Tune Up advice 8:71 Birdcatcher & Mech Alk Inj, 11

Originally Posted by sprizefighter
This is my first experience with a blown alky engine. I have a 540 ci BBC Merlin three block with Big B. 3 Heads, 8:71 Hampton supercharger, Enderlie 110 Mechanical pump, Bird catcher, with only hat nozzles, Debating on the port. It's at 50 % overdriven and I don;t know much about the rest of the engine. It was an engine I purchased from Bowers in Co. It didn't have the rods, crank, or pistons I paid for, as well a host of other things. I saw that when I pulled the pan. The theif sent me Scat rods & Crank and pistons. instead of the Callies Crank, Manley Rods and Airies pistons he was paid for. BACK TO TUNE UP Compression ratio, Cam and Head details ?????Yhr engine required that I swap 4 and 7 plug wires to run. It sounds crisp, and strong but It is so rich. Where do I start?
Port nozzles are the only way run, there's no way you can get equal distribution running thru the hat only and you will burn a piston eventually and even if you don't you will never achive the best performance running only thru the hat.

not just my opinion FACT

Zip.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:42 PM
knova70
SENIOR BUILDER

+50% overdriven that thing is gonna blow!