Pro systems alcohol carburetors

Old 12-06-2007, 06:42 PM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

I just ordered a gas Pro Systems carb and it should be here 12/10. I can't wait to go to the dyno and compare it to another holley. I have heard a lot about Pro Systems carb from my dyno guy and another guy that I truck pull with bought one and he only had to change one jet size at the dyno and the carb made more power than a standard holley.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:49 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

heard Great things on pro-systems...i personally purchased a 1150 alcohol carb from APD last month...

made one pass..stood it up on the back bumper ( had no wheelie bars) never needed them up to this point....anyhow..when i came down had to peddle 3x...and still picked up almost 3 mph with the apd carb.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 12-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Superpro399z
JOURNEYMAN

Hey bjuice (Brain) thats great, what kind of fuel system do you run? Tell me about your car! On the Pro System web site they show an alcohol carb with a regulator that run a vacuum hose back to that is suppose to keep your fuel pressure constant! Do you know anything about this kind of set up! Thanks Mike
Old 12-07-2007, 02:56 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by mican
Hey bjuice (Brain) thats great, what kind of fuel system do you run? Tell me about your car! On the Pro System web site they show an alcohol carb with a regulator that run a vacuum hose back to that is suppose to keep your fuel pressure constant! Do you know anything about this kind of set up! Thanks Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/b...100_0267-1.flv

Mike: Yes i know some stuff about running Alcohol/Carb/Electric pump set up....before i tell you let me say this day and time Electric Pumps have been modified and evolved to where to where they can run Alcohol..there are many people that will only run a mechanical pump..so i am not saying one is better than the other..but its a preference and whats works for you....

so here is my set up i run....Magnafuel PRO-STAR 500 PUMP..with dual relays,#12 line from tank to pump and #10 line to Carb....i also run a Magnafuel 2 port Regulator...My carb is a custom built APD alcohol carb.

i could have chose to go with Pro-systems just as APD..REASON I CHOSE APD is because they started out speacializing in Alcohol carbs..and after i called and spoke with them i was 100% sold..( very nice and helpful people)

the vaccum line deal on the regulator is designed as follows...you tap the intake etc..anywhere where vaccum will pull...what happens is when the vaccum pulls thru the regulator at an idle ( where vaccum is at its highest)..it will pull the diaphram down in the regulator dropping the fuel pressure to a lower PSI at idle ( on starting line)..as you launch the car and leave..the vaccum is decreased therefore increasing the fuel pressure on the big end of the track where you need it..keep in mind it only takes a minimal amount of fuel pressure to operate the car on the line..since the fuel flow of alcohol is so much greater than gas..its a GREAT idea to have as much fuel pressure to the bowls on the big end ( as much fuel pressure as your needle seats can handle)....my APD carb has held 9 to 9.5 psi at idle with no signs of blowing the seats..

i hope this makes sense...this little trick was designed for the alcohol electric pump combo.

i will warn you NOW..so you to not make the mistake i did and roll up to the line expecting the car to act like it did on gas....IT WILL NOT..

however your leaving the line now etc..cut it back a little and feel out the alcohol..it INCREASES your bottom end TREMENDOUSLY..i do not know the numbers but i hear it increases TQ more than HP..IT FELT LIKE I HAD 100 MORE FT LBS OF TQ or very close to it....it was enough in my car to put it on the back bumper and it did nothing BEFORE but squat little on gas....i had no wheelie bars..( never needed them)...this was my learning curve with alcohol...looking back i would have left at 3200/3400 instead of 4200...i was lucky not to hurt anything...i now have wheelie bars

above is what my car sounds like on the alcohol.it changed the sound 100%

i hope this helps you mike..

IMO...Pro-Systems or APD and you have top of the line Alcohol Carb

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 12-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Superpro399z
JOURNEYMAN

Thanks Brian, I am still undecided as of now so I will be talking to both of them. Thanks again!