what mig welder to buy

Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

The 120 volt rigs are great for body work. I would stay away from them when doing heavier chassis and cage fabrication.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:34 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

i like the autoset feature on the miller 140 auto set..will this welder work for chassis and cage work.???????.it also is in my price range
Old 02-03-2008, 08:07 PM
rob41willys
SENIOR BUILDER

ESAB bought out Linde whitch used to be L-TEC years ago. The ESAB mig master 250 is the current equivilant which is a pretty good machine for the home shop. I would steer away from the 120v machines because I think you'll want to upgrade later. Pay a little more now or pay twice later. I have got just about every kind of welder there is. ( stick, mig, tig ) The Mig Master is the one that I use most of the time
Old 02-04-2008, 06:38 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

I'M THINKING IF I LIKE THE MIG ONCE I KNOW IT BETTER AND TRUST THE WELDS I WOULD SORT OF PHAZE OUT USING MY LINC STICK AS MUCH;;I'M OWN A TIGHT BUDGET BUT DO WANT SOMETHING I'D BE HAPPY WITH.MORE I SPEND OWN WELDER LESS I CAN SPEND OWN BUILDING CAR SO LOOKING FOR A HALF WAY POINT.

SO WHAT I'M GETTING FROM THIS FOURM IS GO TO A 230VOLT WELDER[MIG]NOW THE PLACE I'M HOPING TO GET ONE FROM SAID THEY MAY DO IN HOUSE FINANCE FOR ME IF NOT TO MUCH.THE HAVE HOLBERTS/LINC/AND MILLER;;SO WHAT ONE TO BUY IS WHAT I NEED NOW.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THERE HELP HERE
DON
Old 02-04-2008, 08:36 AM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Originally Posted by hotrodharley
THE HAVE HOLBERTS/LINC/AND MILLER;;SO WHAT ONE TO BUY IS WHAT I NEED NOW.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THERE HELP HERE
DON
Opinion's may vary, but of the three mentioned, You can't really go wrong. Here's my pick:

1. Miller
2. Lincoln
3. Hobart

Or if cost is your concern go with what fits your budget.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:35 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Mig

I would suggest that you go to your local welding shop gas supplier and ask them brand they recommend. They usually repair welders and see all the problems that are common. They may even have a used one that is for sale.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:10 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

got to love the power of blue-lol
miller,all the way-
i have a flux cored welder- stay away from them- there junk for thin sheet metal- - just a suggestion-

a good one and you can switch to a aluminum wire- or spool gun-
so id say do the instore layaway- i wish i would have!!!!!!
its well worth the extra money- vs, the drawbacks of not being able to do bolth-
Old 02-07-2008, 03:50 PM
bbc4life
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I would stay away from the hobart 140 welder I bought one to put my new cage in my car and it was not big enough so i sold it and bought a lincoln 180 it is a very good welder and you buy it at lowe's for 669.00