motor go boom

Old 01-27-2010, 03:39 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

and please dont think i am sayin bowhay did it thats not my intentions at all he is noit the kind of man to destroy another mans property especially his truck
Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Did you just say BOWHAY? :shock:
Old 01-27-2010, 08:03 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Maybe my engine skill's are slipping away but i thought if the valves are adjusted too tight then the valves open too much, And sometimes if adjusted tooo tight rockers can even hold the valves open and not let them seat :!: :!: :? :? Causing rough running or not even starting up because of loss of compression :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by mopar1968
Maybe my engine skill's are slipping away but i thought if the valves are adjusted too tight then the valves open too much, And sometimes if adjusted tooo tight rockers can even hold the valves open and not let them seat :!: :!: :? :? Causing rough running or not even starting up because of loss of compression :!:

I agree.

One other thing. Answer me this. Are you one of those guys that piles tools, bolts etc all over the fenders and cowl area while you work? If so it may have just fallen in.Not hard to imagine if you are pulling valve covers plug wires etc to get to the rocker arms. Obviously it isn't a rocker ball from that engine if you adjusted the valves.

Piling crap on the cowl is a terrible idea if you have the engine open up or the carb/tbi uncovered. It is very easy to knock stuff off without knowing it.

I read an article by David Reher about an engine that blew up on a dyno. What they discovered was a weight or something off of a ceiling fan in the dyno room had fallen off and just happened to land in the carb while the engine was running.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:27 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

i do acasionally but most times have a table beside the truck and yes bowhay and sorry im backwards i meant too loose my mistake but yes it didnt open enough to let the parts fall through and once adjusted they did
Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by txhunter69
and sorry im backwards i meant too loose my mistake but yes it didnt open enough to let the parts fall through and once adjusted they did
Jezzzz, glad we got that straight.
Sux what happened, but chalk it up to experience, learn from it and move forward.
Make changes in your work habits, if I were you I'd take Tods approach - lock the door! :shock:

And dont feel like the lone ranger here, similar situations like this have happened to the best mechanics, whether they choose to admit it or not.

Cp
Old 01-29-2010, 03:15 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

thatswhatim doin already got the new motor in and runnin
Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 PM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

3) When I work on my engine, NOBODY is allowed in the garage.....I'm serious.... I lock the door. You would be surprised at the silly mistakes that can happen while you are yacking/shooting the bull. Steps get skipped or forgotten etc.

( Tod74 ) man thats some good stuff,we have a friend that comes by to ( HELP ) and I allways. make damn sure i give him the shortest ratchet and the shortest wrench's we have.,because if you dont, he will snap it off,,and then he says,,if it aint tight it aint gonna hold,,but he does try to help..it gets pretty amusing sometimes..
Old 01-29-2010, 05:34 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Ok guys i am rebuilding a 604 cid indy aluminum hemi it has a 0.770 lift roller cam, now what i done last night was to adjust the roller rockers to spec's, I rolled one of the cam lobe's to full lift then i took a Chevy rocker ball and dropped it in the intake port of the head, it would not go thru, Now i don't think the engine in question has a camshaft this large it might though, I think that if it would not go thru it would just sit on the valve and bounce untill the valve broke from the vibration of ball bouncing. The ball was close to the valve opening but would not go thru. Soooo i don't know :!: :!:

Old 01-29-2010, 07:07 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it's never happened too me. I work alone, i build a few engines a yr. and if i get a visitor to my shop (which is rare, i live in a one dog town) i simply cover up the engine until they leave. I have been building for 50 yrs. and that's alway been my procedure. I don't distrust the visitor i just don't need the distraction when i'm putting together a $5,000.00/$10,000.00 motor.

JMO

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -