They're here

Old 02-21-2013, 07:11 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default They're here

http://news.yahoo.com/drones-large-s...010537668.html

Most of the drones that have begun to appear in the skies above the U.S. homeland don't resemble the Predators or Reapers flown by the U.S. military and CIA above Afghanistan and Pakistan. Instead, these smaller versions of flying, unmanned vehicles almost rival the animal kingdom in their diversity.
Government agencies such as NASA and U.S. Customs and Border Protection operate aircraft-size military drones that take off from runways like airplanes. Labs in the United States have even built tiny drones that look like hummingbirds. But most drones resemble the radio-controlled aircraft and toy helicopters flown by hobbyists for decades, capable of taking off horizontally, vertically or by being thrown into the air like a trained falcon or hawk.
"To say they're all the same is not accurate at all,” said Kevin Lauscher, an industrial sales representative for Draganfly Innovations Inc.
The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration does not plan to permit drones armed with weapons in U.S. civilian airspace, according to an official quoted by the Washington Times. But state agencies, sheriff's offices and universities have already found more widespread use for drones that carry cameras for taking photos or video from above.
"If you look at the capabilities, there are small, quad helicopters and rotor helicopters that can be fitted with a camera and fit in the palm of your hand," Lauscher told TechNewsDaily. "They go all the way up [in size] to a Global Hawk,” which is a relatively large military drone.
Draganfly Innovations builds small drones weighing less than 5 pounds that fly under the control of a human operator using two joysticks. The Canadian company has sold some drones to law enforcement for taking pictures or video of traffic accidents or crime scenes, as well as aiding SWAT teams preparing to storm a building or housing compound. [7 Next Generation UAVs]
But law enforcement represents a relatively small part of Draganfly's business. Many more clients use drones to cheaply inspect the exterior of huge factories, manufacturing facilities or construction sites. Drones could even help check on tall structures such as wind turbines, Lauscher said.
FAA drone license applications tracked by the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit digital rights organization, suggest many other possible uses. Some U.S. states have begun considering drones for checking on highway traffic conditions, inspecting bridges and fighting wildfires. U.S. corporations, such as FedEx, have already begun planning for the day when drones could deliver packages.
Unlike free-flying birds, practically every unmanned aerial vehicle known as a drone flies under some form of human remote control. But university labs have already shown how pre-programmed drones can carry out intricate flight patterns, and military-grade drones have emergency backup routines in case they lose the signal connection to their human operators.
Bird watchers accustomed to spotting a gaggle of geese or a murder of crows may someday spot similar groupings of drones. Such drone swarms will likely use advanced forms of today's artificial intelligence programs to coordinate their missions without precise human control, a future with possibilities both delightful and daunting.
"Can drone technology be abused? Absolutely," Lauscher said. "Can they be beneficial and save lives? Absolutely."
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

This tech can be VERY MUCH ABUSED ! Or used in VERY positive, educational, recreational, and business related applications.....by ANyone.....
The two young guys who videoed the Mary Hill Hillclimb are out of Portland,Or. The Government there is trying to pass bills regulating & restricting the use of ALL, remote controlled aircraft, no matter the size or use.
This is a VERY vague and barley visible line between 'legal' use and 'illegal' use.
Example; You are up and videoing a car show, racing event, a clients home/business, and you unknowingly capture images of some one or some thing. In the meantime you've made the video available to the public or a private entity where the 'unknown' images are then discovered. A lawsuit then is filed and here we go.....
Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2013/.../?subscriber=1
Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 PM
ken0069
MASTER BUILDER

And what happens when someone in the private sector CRASHES one of those things??

The local R/C club here has insurance for all it's members and they are only flown in that specific area. Lord help the idiot that's out flying one of them at some event and it crashes and kills someone on the ground!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:32 PM
rogersperformance
SHOW GUEST

All i have to say is George Lucas was ahead of every one Star wars The Drone Wars.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by ken0069
And what happens when someone in the private sector CRASHES one of those things??

The local R/C club here has insurance for all it's members and they are only flown in that specific area. Lord help the idiot that's out flying one of them at some event and it crashes and kills someone on the ground!
Ha Ha. My step dad has over 120 remote control airplanes. He flys early every morning and late every evening on the golf couse across the road from his house. One afternoon when he was flying he lost power in the plane and it hit a guy (luckily it was one of his friends) in the ankle that was on the green. Cut him pretty bad and he had to go to the hospital to get stitches. Really lucky he was going slow and getting ready to land and lucky he didn't hit him in the head!
Typical golfer, he was mad and still picks at my step dad because he had a good round going andhad to leave and go to the hospital.

Some of his planes / jets (all electric) can fly a good bit over 100mph.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Ha Ha. My step dad has over 120 remote control airplanes.

Some of his planes / jets (all electric) can fly a good bit over 100mph.
Y'know I know several guys who also have R/C planes and some of them are downright scary because they do fly pretty fast and with the new controls and the size of cameras and resolution that they're capable of, you can fly your planes out of sight now . . So, they too, become "Drones" . .

Think on this, because this could be a two way street in the future . . Today's speed limit for R/C aircraft (look it up if you don't believe me) is 198 mph. Set by the FAA. And the "Jets" are real Jets, running on Fuel, kinda neat, really . . . Check one out . . It hauls ass . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXEiVDK0p88

I say this because since the "Drone" conversation began, it's crossed my mind (didn't have far to go) that these R/C's could be "Armed" just as easily as a "Dedicated Drone" could . . Y'think?

A couple of years ago the feds arrested an Arab who was going to use 3/4 scale Model Airplanes with jet power as radio controlled missiles to blow up something or other. It was kind of "blown off" by everyone associated with the bust because he was using "Model Airplanes" . .

But, what if he had access to a half pound (or so) of C-4 and put it in the "Model Airplane" with an impact fuse? Those "Small Aircraft" will certainly carry that much weight relatively easily . . And a half pound of C-4 would make a hellova BANG! . .

That would be, no longer a "Model Aircraft", but a guided missile . . .

Just sayin'
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

ZACTLY ! WE the PEOPLE have 'drones' as well that could be weaponized and used against an 'opposing' force..100's of THOUSANDS.....You can't tell me 'they' do not know this....
Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Here's something else that will either scare hell out of you or warm your heart, depending upon which side of the fence you live on, Most of the R/C Airplane guys I know are also Gun Nuts . . or Gun Rights activists at least . .

There were quite a few of them at the "Town Hall Meeting" last Saturday that State Senator Angela Giron held on "Gun Control" and the four bills pending in the State Senate . .

And, yeah, I'd bet they certainly know about these things . . And I'd also bet that they're watching pretty close.

But, just like guns, they may be able to legislate the sale and manufacture of new ones, but they can't do much about the stuff that's already out there . .
Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by roadkill2

But, just like guns, they may be able to legislate the sale and manufacture of new ones, but they can't do much about the stuff that's already out there . .
And THAT is PRECISELY why gun sales have ratcheted up sky high..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -