Alcohol and Nitromethane

Old 12-16-2008, 09:26 AM
onedragracer
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by slowmotion
From http://nostalgiaracing.proboards57.c...lay&thread=713

Pull a couple hundred dollars out of the bank and burn it too see if it is fun. Then do it again. If it is still fun poor some money, or I mean nitro in the tank

And

Now here is the first thing you need to do. Go to the bank, get $10,000.00 in fives, tens, twentys and 100's. Stand in front of the toilet, start with the 5's, work you way up through the 100's. When you have flushed them all down the toilet and not flinched your almost ready to go.

:lol:
X2 :!:
Old 12-19-2008, 07:23 PM
quick8dragster07
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

[quote="spudmiller"]Mr. Parker,

Originally Posted by dparker
...You've still broke more parts in 2 years than I've broke in 10 years.
And I'm going faster than you...that's what happens when you go nearly a half-second quicker. Buy enough parts to turn 7.300's with your dragster and I bet you find a part or two in there somewhere that wasn't up to the task if you do it twenty times. You'll replace those parts with better ones and then continue on to be a little quicker or faster if you like a challenge. Have you been doing 7.70's for 10 years now? Then you are by all means an expert on going 7.70 if you aren't breaking any parts.

I run 6.50 in a blown sbc all day long, and NEVER have a stock case 1.76 straight cut brake a case on me... knock on wood... But grow some balls and get a fast car before putting somone down for running 7.70's, when you're running 75% nitro and making how much? 960? I'm rolling over here... My "shiny new parts" is a USED 23* brodix headed 360, makin 1500. I think blowers are much safer than nitro ever thaught about being, just was intersted in maybe mixing a little... Listening to what happens to you though makes me think otherwise.

point is don'ttalk smack about somone you don't know spud, that would probably eat you for lunch :twisted:
Old 12-20-2008, 10:49 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Hey,quick8dragster07

Got a question for you, are you running a stock block or did you have to go to an after market block to keep your's alive? I've got a 1471 blown small blk. on alcohol, it was a 358", now going to 383" also 23* Brodix heads going into my Anglia.

Zip.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:48 PM
talgregory
JOURNEYMAN

ok i know that some people donot like nitro :!: nitro works i use 25% . i have not had any problems useing nitro . if anyone has any :?: call mr miller i know that he know what he is talking about ?

talgregory
Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 AM
quick8dragster07
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Hey Zip, I'm running a rocket block on mine, sorry I just checked my msgs.. Check your Pm's and you'll find the answer to your other questions.

Thanks, Matt
Old 12-24-2008, 06:52 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by talgregory
ok i know that some people donot like nitro :!: nitro works i use 25% . i have not had any problems useing nitro . if anyone has any :?: call mr miller i know that he know what he is talking about .

talgregory

No question 25% probably works well...Bump it up to 75/80% and tell us how its working for you...

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 12-30-2008, 09:57 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Hey guys check the link out below.

Lil video showing before and after run on an old country road near our home.

From the age of 12 my boys grew up in a dyno shop playing with some pretty mean stuff.

The video will give you an idea of what they were able to do by the time they were 17 and 19.

You really don't start noticing any power gain until about 20%. Nitro loves fuel, timing and more fuel. Did I mention more fuel, More Fuel.

They had ran about 200 bottles of nitrous through the motor and figured the motor was just about gone so they had some fun with it. They were only able to make 4 runs before she started spitting parts.

http://www.racingjunk.com/video_gallery/60574

Hope you enjoy.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Well this was quitre a thread. Someone asks about running a little nitro, someone comes on here with a great deal of knowledge on the topic, and you guys run him out of here on a rail.

A couple of points I would like to make:

1. Anyone that just starts dumping nitro into their tank without doing their due diligence as to how to run it successfully is likely headed for some melted parts. Just as Spud did when he was getting his program sorted out.

2. Bjuice, you were the one that brought up the bracket racing aspect. To my knowledge, no track allows nitro in bracket racing. Spud is not a bracket racer.

3. Ashbros, you posted a video on the first page showing how your engine only lasted four runs with nitro. Then you post it again on the last page, stating the engine was already about wore out and had already had 200 bottles of nitrous through it and you decided to have some fun with it. Not exactly a smoking gun here.

I didn't get the impression that Spud was suggesting to anyone that they run a 75% mix in their car just because he does in his. Seemed more to me he was establishing himself on a new forum as an authority on the subject, whcih is something everyone does.

Spud does run a succesful program and does enjoy helping others run theirs. He makes a business of it, and is quite good at what he does.

There are individuals that come in to these forums from time to time that are experts in their field. Spud is one of those people. You folks have pretty much ensured that he will not be a resource for RJ readers to look to, at least not on the forum.

Yes, I am one of Spuds customers and also list him among my friends.

I believe a few of you were out of line here.

Murff
Old 01-05-2009, 04:26 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

here is Spuds orginal reply Murff, Please tell me what part you agree with and what part you may have some questions about ? and try to imagine you do not know him on a personal level.

also i have no issues someone establishing theirselve but don't get a case of the ass when others express their opinion's as well...i think this is were it all went downhill..the theory of being able to give and and not being able to take it will not fly on any forum IMO.

the old phrase olds true again. "its ok to disagree but not to be disagreeable"

spudmiller
SHOW GUEST

Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:53 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you hurt your stuff while running nitro, then you aren't doing it right.

Nitromethane is an extremely cost effective way to make economical parts and pieces perform like you wouldn't believe. The tone here seems to be that one would be foolish to run it and it would be like setting fire to good money. My sentiments are pretty much the opposite...buy the good liquid and feed it right to go fast instead of spending bucks on trick parts made out of unobtainium. Also, parts designed for brute strength are cheaper than trick, lightweight, canted-valve, jewelry. So, buy for strength and dump in more juice.

I ran an extremely cheap small block chevy for 5 seasons with almost no maintenance. Same bearings, same rings...I finally wore out the bores and retired it for new iron. It was running when I shut it off. In fact, its last pass was a final round appearance. Hundreds and hundreds of passes on 50-75% nitro. I did need to put two new pistons in it once due to over revving it on the burn out. Changed head gaskets a couple of times until I learned what worked. That's it. No trick parts or pieces and I was able to beat up pretty well on blown alcohol motors. It won many rounds, won quite a few events and I didn't spend a ton of money.

Spud Miller
Old 01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

If you hurt your stuff while running nitro, then you aren't doing it right.

Fair statement, as proven by the many people that don't set their tune on 'kill' and successfully run their program. Nothing controversial there.

Nitromethane is an extremely cost effective way to make economical parts and pieces perform like you wouldn't believe. The tone here seems to be that one would be foolish to run it and it would be like setting fire to good money. My sentiments are pretty much the opposite...buy the good liquid and feed it right to go fast instead of spending bucks on trick parts made out of unobtainium. Also, parts designed for brute strength are cheaper than trick, lightweight, canted-valve, jewelry. So, buy for strength and dump in more juice.

Again, nothing controversial here either. "Extremely cost effective way to make economical parts and pieces perform" sounds like an alternative is being offered to the usual high dollar engine components that most choose to build with. Please do not misconstrue my statement here as that high dollar stuff is very cool and powerful indeed. But if one was to shred a production block by missing the tune on nitro, or even alky, it would cost a lot less to replace that block than say a Dart or World piece.

I ran an extremely cheap small block chevy for 5 seasons with almost no maintenance. Same bearings, same rings...I finally wore out the bores and retired it for new iron. It was running when I shut it off. In fact, its last pass was a final round appearance. Hundreds and hundreds of passes on 50-75% nitro. I did need to put two new pistons in it once due to over revving it on the burn out. Changed head gaskets a couple of times until I learned what worked. That's it. No trick parts or pieces and I was able to beat up pretty well on blown alcohol motors. It won many rounds, won quite a few events and I didn't spend a ton of money.

Spud is not a story teller. He ran the car as stated. I guess this paragraph could be taken to say 'it worked for me, just do it', but I would hope that no one here (or anywhere else) would be so naive to take that as blanket endorsement to just do it.

I have no issue with debate, heated or casual, as long as that debate is done under the assumtion that the other person may know what they are talking about. Bjuice, I know you know what you are talking about and are very good at what you do, and you are a BMFIC here on RJ (I say that with respect). Spud also knows what he is talking about, and has the international client base to back it up.

Let's face it, there aren't that many nitro discussion that come up here on RJ. Most are about NA gas or alky, turbos and nitrous. An opportunity presented itself here for many people to be enlightened on the topic and many misconceptions laid to rest, whether anyone was ever going to squeeze a little pop or not.

I first came to RJ a few years ago when I was trying to set up my Enderle injection on my sbf. Not everyone was qualified to provide me with the answers I sought, but a few were and did. I did not take any one reply as the final word and continued to seek knowledge from other sources. Not that I doubted the info I had, but because I wanted verification. Due diligence.

And I do need to point out that if it wasn't for Spud Miller and Fuel Injection Enterprises, my heap and I would still be struggling to find our way down the track.

Bottom line, I expect more from RJ when someone like Spud comes on deck to share information.

Murff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -