going from 4150 to a dom

Old 08-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I have a 1050 on a 540 with a .737 lift roller and brodix heads.
I can't see you needing a 1050 on a 383 but that's just my opinion.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:34 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I have a 1050 on my 360 cid ran the same as the 850 ,but alot cleaner.

just saying.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by montecarlo84
I have a 1050 on my 360 cid ran the same as the 850 ,but alot cleaner.

just saying.
wow. I Would have bet money it would slow down. Was the 850 a piece of crap? just asking.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:57 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

It is a barry grant and was verry inconsistant.

would run great one pass,pop once or twice on the next

put the dom on ran the same just no pop. it also small jets at frist and ran the same . Now has stock jets and i think it will pickup this fall.

I just want to be consistant.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:49 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
How do you know it's the carb?

From 6500 to 7000 the power flattens out and the torque drops. What cam/heads/intake are on it?
The heads are afr cnc 210's 64 cc and the short turn radius has been cleaned up they flowed 298 cfm @ .700 lift..

the cam is a solid roller comp with 268 and 272 duration with .634 lift

the intake is a super victor that has been ported by larry meaux.

update

i decided to look at my fuel delivery so i firs of changed my feul filter on my suction side to a good wix filter........phoned aeromotive to find out how much my pump will take to pump 1 galoon.

So i took the line off before it goes into the regulator and put it in a gas can and got my son with a stop watch and started the test........i was told it will take 26.7 seconds to get a galoon....well it is no problem as it pumped a galoon which equates to 138 galoons per hour.

So then i phoned holley and told them my problem and what i wanted to now was what needle and seats should it have he told me i should have .120 so i took out the ones in it and they .097 and replaced them with the .120 after this i had to lower my fuel pressure as it jumped up to 9 psi from 8 psi wierd what ever..................i am hoping for the cheap fix and maybe all what was wrong was the needle wouldn't let enough fuel in...........fingers crossed
Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by montecarlo84
It is a barry grant and was verry inconsistant.

would run great one pass,pop once or twice on the next

put the dom on ran the same just no pop. it also small jets at frist and ran the same . Now has stock jets and i think it will pickup this fall.

I just want to be consistant.
BG... That says it all. Probably has metal shavings floating around in the carb that you can't see without taking the emulsion tubes out.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by fishman1
Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
How do you know it's the carb?

From 6500 to 7000 the power flattens out and the torque drops. What cam/heads/intake are on it?
The heads are afr cnc 210's 64 cc and the short turn radius has been cleaned up they flowed 298 cfm @ .700 lift..

the cam is a solid roller comp with 268 and 272 duration with .634 lift

the intake is a super victor that has been ported by larry meaux.

update

i decided to look at my fuel delivery so i firs of changed my feul filter on my suction side to a good wix filter........phoned aeromotive to find out how much my pump will take to pump 1 galoon.

So i took the line off before it goes into the regulator and put it in a gas can and got my son with a stop watch and started the test........i was told it will take 26.7 seconds to get a galoon....well it is no problem as it pumped a galoon which equates to 138 galoons per hour.

So then i phoned holley and told them my problem and what i wanted to now was what needle and seats should it have he told me i should have .120 so i took out the ones in it and they .097 and replaced them with the .120 after this i had to lower my fuel pressure as it jumped up to 9 psi from 8 psi wierd what ever..................i am hoping for the cheap fix and maybe all what was wrong was the needle wouldn't let enough fuel in...........fingers crossed
Would be nice if it was that simple.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:02 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

We ran a 9375 1050 on a dish piston, hydraulic cam, vortec head 406. It was faster than an 800 and deadly consistent. The converter did stall about 5000, which helped a bit. I also ran a 1250 on a 447 SBC, a tenth faster and 20 HP more on the dyno, made as much torque 1000 RPM below peak torque and made more after that than a 1050. If you have enough converter and gear, a bigger carb (within reason) can usually be tuned to work better. Fish, no reason you cant get the 1050 to work good on yours, just realize an out of the box Dominator will usually need some work to get right, some models more than others.

What model # is it and is it an HP model or earlier Dominator?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:52 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
We ran a 9375 1050 on a dish piston, hydraulic cam, vortec head 406. It was faster than an 800 and deadly consistent. The converter did stall about 5000, which helped a bit. I also ran a 1250 on a 447 SBC, a tenth faster and 20 HP more on the dyno, made as much torque 1000 RPM below peak torque and made more after that than a 1050. If you have enough converter and gear, a bigger carb (within reason) can usually be tuned to work better. Fish, no reason you cant get the 1050 to work good on yours, just realize an out of the box Dominator will usually need some work to get right, some models more than others.

What model # is it and is it an HP model or earlier Dominator?
jmark

I still haven't recieved the carb from my friend as he lives in a diffrent town and usually just see him at the track, well he blew up his motor so he was suppose to give it to another friend but he hasn't........i have another friend with one i can try but am not sure what model it is.......right now i am usuing #82 jets in front and #88 in back so should i jet the dominator the same and i imagine it has stock air bleed so it could be a crap shoot
Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Fishman1. these guys are telling you Straight up and they are right. You may go quicker with a 750. Story- 1 month ago I went through tis same thing it's posted on here. I have a 434 -666 H/P 15 to 1 comp. it had a 950 and ran 6.20 in the 1/8 and I thought it would run faster with a good Dom. well NOT I bought the HP Dom. and a brodix intake and no matter what I did I could not get it to run any faster with it matter of fact it slowed it down to 6.33 and that was it. $1400.00 down the tolit. I put a dart intake and a new 950 HP back on it and droped my octane down from 114 to 112 and now it's running 6.10 consistently in the 1/8 . TO MUCH CARB IS BAD it cost me a lot of money to learn that lesson.
Be safe and have fun. Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -