E-85

Old 11-17-2007, 05:00 PM
asev
SHOW GUEST

Default E-85

Does anybody have any experience running E-85 in there race car? I am having a E-85 carb being built now and was just wondering any tuning tricks that anybody else has done.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:20 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I'd contact Dave Slatten w/Slatten Racing Engines in Denver or the guys at Wyoming Ethanol in Torrington Wyoming. They both use E-85 exclusively.....
Old 11-20-2007, 03:25 AM
asev
SHOW GUEST

Thanks for the reply, did you catch the article in the new Hot Rod on E-85....interesting stuff, I am anxious to get my set-up working here in the off-season.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:11 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

No I didn't see the article. I do know that Slatten and others run E85 in the Superquick and Superfast classes in Denver. I've seen several of them run low 7's @ 180 plus in both dragsters and door cars on the stuff. They might be injected though. As a plus, it really smells great!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:53 AM
RedRampage
SHOW GUEST

Was wondering were you are getting your carb done. I run a mod pulling tractor and considering going to E-85,I run a 1050 dominator Thanks
Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

I came across this on www.westcoastpromods.com in their Forum! The next couple years will be very interesting. Might have to start testing now to get ahead of the game. This is whats being discussed in their forum:

Pro Mod and Outlaw racing is a blast. The blower cars seem to have a little advantage but we have the technology to put the nitrous cars back on top.

Our research at O2 Technology indicates that oxygenated fuels may possibly be the next step for nitrous cars. We have spent a good amount of time and money to prove up some areas involving ethanol. We have tuned a number of engines through the years with methanol and nitrous, however we are now finding that ethanol may be the fuel of choice.

On our web-site we have info available from a nitrous small block utilizing E-85 and nitrous. EGT and Lambda were monitored and due to the small amount of gasoline present, the burn rate was very much like that of gas, due to the gas vapors being the first thing to light. Inlet air temp was down considerably over that of gasoline, yet power was about the same as the combination with methanol. You have a super-cooling affect, yet more heat in the chamber. The sprint car guys have already found this out. If you calculate the amount of oxygen going into the engine, versus gasoline, you will find that a 4-5% power increase would be possible, although in reality the synergism of ethanol and nitrous yield closer to an 8-10% increase.
Ethanol and methanol are both very resistant to detonation. Many try to compare so-called octane ratings of gasoline with that of alcohols and its impossible. Octane rating is derived from the fact that gasoline is Iso-octane. The proper terminology for alcohols would be "knock rating," which believe me is higher than most gasoline and much easier to tune. A blown alcohol car will not get out of its own way when switched to gasoline. Even the turbo guys see huge power increases when switching to an alcohol. It all boils down to the fact that 1 cubic foot of air takes up a lot more space than 20 cc's of methanol, which at 60F contains approximately the same weight of oxygen.
Many of the large cubic inch nitrous engines barely make over 3.0-3.1 hp per cubic inch and we believe it will be possible to make 3.4-3.5 hp per cubic inch. On smaller, shorter stroke combinations turning very high rpm's like Pro Stock engines, 4 hp per cubic inch may not be impossible. We would like to help in any way we can, from tuning tips to consultation. From ProMods to everyday street rods. We are fuel and nitrous folks with many years of experience.
We can be contacted at:

http://www.o2-technology.com/contactus.aspx
or e-mail Ricky Dyer at [email protected]
Old 01-01-2008, 07:56 AM
gasalley
CRAFTSMAN

Default e85 carb conversion

I found this website the other day -- classicmtrsprts.com they do conversions or have ready to go carbs. hope this will help.

I'm working on converting my coupe to e85 for the street & strip.