tell your most scared moment in a CAR. STREET OR STRIP

Old 08-21-2007, 05:47 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

same with mine Zip..have it on the shifter...

i tell ya what...the cars we have are NO JOKE..these things will kill you in a skinny minute..you might as well say its a 3,000 lb missile traveling over 100 mph...

i have personally been at a test and tune night and have somone stage beside me that i DO NOT feel good about for whatever reason (car,driving habits etc..) and i will let them solo on down the track....
everytime i stage my wife in her camaro i will glance over at the opposite lane..if i DO NOT FEEL good with it..i hold her up and waive the other guy thru....i will also do this automatically if she has a quicker 5 second car pull up beside her...although they all can hurt you a 4 or 5 second ride happens sooo much quicker and i would not want that on my hands,

the track staff running the burn out boxes get a little testy when this happens but i could care less....

SAFTEY 1ST FOR EVERYONE.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 AM
3dracing
MASTER BUILDER

I had a '69 Camaro tube chassis car that ran 5.90's and about 3/4 track it broke the diaganal link on the rear end. It doesn't matter what you do it's wrong.

Steve
Old 08-21-2007, 06:42 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

that was a wild ride i bet,,did you crash ?,,i hope not

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-22-2007, 06:15 AM
3dracing
MASTER BUILDER

No, didn't hit anything but had to have a couple of minutes when I got back to the trailer.

Steve
Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 AM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by 3dracing
No, didn't hit anything but had to have a couple of minutes when I got back to the trailer.

Steve
Cleanout time? :P
Old 09-03-2007, 07:35 PM
oldcarjunkie
APPRENTICE

Does a truck count? rolled truck on Interstate 95 late one night comming home from night work. it was a little drizzle and comming round a turn, not too fast but good enogh that when i hit this bump she went sideways, I tried to recover a couple times but it just got worse. It fell on the drivers side, the window was down and i barely hung in the car as it tried to pitch me out( no seatbelt), when the truck hit the first time on the drivers side, the mirror was sent wizzing by my nose at about 30mph and broke the pass window that was up. when i finally stoped rolling i landed on all 4's. The Rear window popped out and was in the bed, all the stuff from behind the seat was either on the road or in the front with me. the speaker from the pass side dash was in the bed of the truck( im guessing from the downward force as thats the side it landed on once in the air. Im Just glad my old girlfriend wasnt with me that night. here is the only 2 pics i have. might be crapy i scanned them in.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

I had two.

One was back in '75 during a street race. I was driving my '70 Torino 429SCJ. From the time we started to where it was time to let off it started to drizzle. Street was dry when we launched but wet 1/4 mile down the road. I either beat the guy or he got out of it first, either way I was pretty much alone. Down shift to 3rd, slow, blip the throttle and pull down to 2nd, only it doesn't drop in to gear. Bright boy that I am I look at the shifter, wiggle it a bit and it drops into 2nd. I look up and I'm about 40' from a blinking red light, 4 lane cross traffic has a blinking yellow.

Dynamite the brakes, Ford gets sideways like right now and I gracefully slide sideways across four lanes of 40 mph traffic. Stupid car finally stops just on the other side of the far crosswalk. I do recall seeing headlights as I went across that intersection but needless to say I didn't stick around to see who they belonged to. There was no crash and there was no near hit. But it did have a pucker factor of about 80.

2nd one was last week at test & tune. Launched my Falcon from idle, went about 20' and started skating for the wall. Stayed on it, hit 2nd and got straight but when I hit third I started skating the other way towards the center line. I remember thinking, 'Where's this SOB gonna go next?', and 'Where the hell is the finish line so I can let off the gas?'.

ET was 1/2 second off and 60' was off by three tenths. The Totally Awesome Missus Murff was a bit perturbed when I got back to the pits, I guess it looked kind of hairy from the starting line. But at the same time she was impressed that I drove through it.

Like qtrmile2 said, if it doesn't feel right, lift. I never felt that I was at a point that it wasn't going to recover, although sliding towards cemter at 900' I did feel that if I had lifted the car would have gone nose down on me and I really would have had an adventure.

Murff
Old 09-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

It wasn't a truck or car but a class A motor home. It was a cold February night, when my wife and our best friends got the motorhome packed for a trip to sunny Florida. Two weeks of short track racing, the Daytona 500 and maybe a little deep sea fishing. We wasn't about to let a little snow storm ruin our plans. We did decide it would be best if we stuck to the major highways instead of the usual short cuts and decided I-74 to I-65 would be better than getting stuck in a snow drift.

It started off shaky, it snowed hard from Davenport Iowa to Indianapolis, but as we turned south into Kentucky on I-65 it turned to a light rain. At least we wasn't snow blind and sliding in the wind and our spirits was soaring.

We was making good time and just as we got into the hills south of Louisville we peaked a hill and I looked down a long stretch of down hill grade to see head lights and tail lights going every which way. OH S--T Black ice, 34 foot motorhome and a free ride to the bottom a bout a mile or so down the road. I let off the gas and that big sucker started side ways. Sliped it in neutral quick and started a tap dance on the brake for what seemed an hour. It didn't seem to slow a bit and the big pile up of cars and trucks is getting closer. I try the shoulder to see if we could catch some gravel to help slow down, nothing there but there are some cars on that side up a head so I go for the road again, but as i did it did a 180, I locked the brakes down and cranked the wheel and as we got on a forward direction, we slid threw the first sets of cars. Now I'm sweating bullets but we aren't done yet, going around again we made a narrow passage between a Kenworth and a UPS truck backward, still making them lazy circles on the ice the next obstical was about 10 trucks and cars in the middle and a truck wedged under overpass. Went for the shoulder again and bet there wasn't inches on either side, did that one forward thank goodness and the grade was getting better and finally stopped on the shoulder quite a ways down the road. I sat there and shook for a good 15 minutes. I don't think it would have been near as scary if one of them trucks would have just run us over with out seeing it coming. I was in a 7 time roll over in a 55 olds and it never scared me like that.

Yes make that a double, I'm not driving anymore tonight.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:28 PM
rabiddawg
DYNO TECH

back in 82 I had a mecury capri with a 351 winsor motor and broke a tierod going south on hiway 15.
drag racing at night of course hehe.
car flipped and I slid on the hood for about a mile.
yeah I shit my pants lol.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:00 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I let my girlfriend drive my Chevelle to the store.. by herself.

THE END

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -