forged pistons vs hyperpuketectic

Old 08-27-2007, 01:26 AM
Timmyboy86
CRAFTSMAN

Default forged pistons vs hyperpuketectic

i've got a guy telling me not to run lightweight pistons on the street says i'll run slow? i found a set of pistons in a forged that are 131 grams lighter each than my current keith blacks should i swap or not? i told him he was NUTS when he said run .005 ring gap on the keith black pistons.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:52 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I would say go forged, and Keith Black recommeds .030 ring gap on the top ring. I've seen atleast 3 instantences where the top of the piston have come off of KB's and in every case it was due to not enough end gap. 2 of these on 305 sprint car mtrs. and 1 on a street mtr.

Zip.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:23 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

Piston weight increases with the square of the rpm,cutting piston weight always increases H.P. Bill
Old 08-28-2007, 05:47 PM
blown375
APPRENTICE

Tim do your self a favor and go to keith black pistons website they have a ton of information about your pistons .It is recomended that the ring end gaps be opened up with the hyperutectic pistons. Sounds like this guy is no friend .
Old 08-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Timmyboy86
CRAFTSMAN

i'm getting rid of the kb pistons anyway they will probualy find there way to the shed since no one will buy them anyway tell be afraid of buying flycut pistons and they'll never believe i didn't use them i might try posting them on ebay with a complete set of plasma moly rings and a set of legend I beam rods. the rings have been gapped so asouming your pistons to wall clearances are right the rings should have proper gap i'll probauly list them starting at 150 and hopefully get at least 200.