Suspicious Ad?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:33 AM
redfairlaner
SHOW GUEST

Default Suspicious Ad?

Hello, I am new to RJ and have posted a couple of items for sale. I have received an email message and I have a gut feeling there is a problem. I listed the price of the item, I included pictures and specifically stated the item was new in the box. The email asks for all the specifics again. I also noted the email address is a name followed by a number and Yahoo.com. I have dealt with a scammer before that actually sent a check totaling $5000.00 for a part that was selling for $1500.00. I turned the check and all the email correspondence over to the FBI. They have a division that handles computer fraud. I have found out that alot of these people are from Nigeria. Not only did I receive this offer, but many more and they all started with the same questions and the same method of shipping. I found that if you email them back immediately and state that you will handle the shipping and there will be no refund of shipping charges, the emails will stop. For anyone who has never dealt with this problem, beware. The check came UPS Next Day and for all intent and purpose looked completely legitamate, but don't be fooled. I called the bank listed on the check and of course the account didn't exsist and the bank didn't even have a branch in the city that was on the check. The check you send for the balance of the shipping costs would have been delivered to a residential address and immediately deposited.These criminals are not stupid. I knew better than to fall for their scam, but if someone has never heard of this before it could happen. I did my own research before turning the information over to the FBI, because I felt it might help someone else. Also, I read a post that stated the scammers were not interested in the advertised part, that is exactly right, they only want your money. Also I feel they scan these sites and when someone new registers, they feel they may not know about them.Sorry for the lengthy post, but I felt it could help someone in the future. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 AM
jbsjunk
EXPERT BUILDER

Thanks for the tips. 8)