Interviewing Tracks

Old 11-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Default Interviewing Tracks

The thread on Bristol ending their bracket program and another thread about supporting a local track put this idea into my head.

There are two 1/4 mile facilities less an hour from me, Pacific Raceways and Bremerton Raceway. There are two 1/8 mile tracks 2 - 3 hours away, and 1 1/4 mile nostalgia track that was closed in the '60's (an airstip) that is trying to get a program put together beyond the basic cackle fests and limited racing they have had recently. So, I have options.

I have begun sending out inquiries to these tracks asking them why I should consider running my car at their faciity.

I explain that I am not a 'feature' car or a pro, just a regular guy that is looking for a home track.

I will run T&T at Pacific just due to convenience but I do not care eenough for the way it is being managed to make a commitment to run there all season if they aren't willing to make a commitment to me and other racers to offer a good program.

So what do you guys think? Good idea trying to hold their feet to the fire, or just an excercise in sending emails?

Murff
Old 11-29-2007, 04:01 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Like the old adage...the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Kind of like we have become with our government, no one is brave enough to make a stand, but unlike what you are talking about, the time with our government has come to a point where a united stand is the only way we can make a difference.

Your idea however has merit.
One voice will build on another voice and so on and so on until it starts to snowball.

I say send the emails and see who is smart enough to respond and move in the right direction.
The other side is say nothing and have to drive for hours just to have a little fun.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:16 AM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Get as many people to do this with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mass emailing! something might just happen if they see enough people are really interested!David.remember that wheel!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:45 PM
gs97s10chevy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Im a spoke in the wheel with ya Murff! 8) jus let me know .
Old 11-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Here's a copy of the email I sent to Pacific Raceways, to the General Manager and the Dragstrip Manager:

Gentlemen -

I am looking for a "Home" track for 2008. I ran my car at Pacific a few times last year, a '68 Ford Falcon with an Enderle injected small block Ford. We were on gas in '07 but are in rhe process of moving to alcohol. The car is not a 'feature' car, just a foot brake Pro bracket car that should run low 11's to high 10's. I will say that when I ran the car there last year I wasn't made to feel very welcome which is what has prompted me to write this email as I make my racing plans for 2008.

I live in Federal Way so Pacific is obviously a logical choice to run at, but I also have the options to run at Bremerton, or Shelton if they decide to schedule a program.

So I am here asking you, "Why should I commit to Pacific Raceways for 2008?"

I have sent similar emails to Bremerton and Shelton.

I am anxiously awaiting your response.

Thanks

Murff

Mike Murphy
[email protected]
253-946-3278

I still have not had a response from the Shelton facility so I resent my email to them.

Depending on the responses (or lack of) I may need to consider going even further afield and look at Yakima or Spokane, although Spokane isn't an NHRA facility.

Carl, you run at Firebird? What's the attitude like over there?

Murff
Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Murff
Mike Murphy
[email protected]
253-946-3278

I still have not had a response from the Shelton facility so I resent my email to them.

Depending on the responses (or lack of) I may need to consider going even further afield and look at Yakima or Spokane, although Spokane isn't an NHRA facility.

Carl, you run at Firebird? What's the attitude like over there?

Murff
Murff,

I love racing at Firebird.
I know the owners the New family.

My dad actually did a lot of the track work back when it first opened in 1968.
That was many years ago.

They spent over $370,000.00 in 2000 for help in road improvements going out to the track, they widened the road to two lanes in areas, and lobbied to increase the speed limit to 65.

They are very accomodating to local and out of town racers.
It is a good 1/4 mile track and has a fairly long shut down road.

We used to see the likes of John Force, Shirley Muldowney, Kenny Bernstien etc but unfortunately we did not have the population base to keep them coming back.

We still get some fast guys up here and all praise the track.
I have seen an fuel altered go 5.42 @ 282 at the nightfire in 02.
That was on hell of a show!

LOL...I just went to their website http://www.firebirdonline.com/ and noticed they are putting a ton of money into renovation and improvements for next year.

All I can say is, you come down here and I will make sure you have the time of your life!

Mark, you know that means you too!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 05:19 PM
gs97s10chevy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I had emailed shelton about 2wks ago and still no email back it was about something completely different so i dont think its the letter it may be they dont check computer responses.. Murff you said there might be other people not happy with pacific have you spoken with them as well?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by gs97s10chevy
I had emailed shelton about 2wks ago and still no email back it was about something completely different so i dont think its the letter it may be they dont check computer responses.. Murff you said there might be other people not happy with pacific have you spoken with them as well?
Yeah, I've spoken with a few about what I'm doing. They're pretty much waiting to see what type of responses I get before making any sort of decisions about what they're gonna do. Kind of "well it sucks, but what else can we do?" mentality I guess.

Murff
Old 12-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Murff
MASTER BUILDER

Got a response from Shelton Dragstrip Association:

"We are still currently negotiating with the port and FAA to see if we can compete next year. Stay tuned RAHN"

Looks like they are going to be a wild card, at best. Now I'll just have to wait and see what Bremerton Raceway and Pacific Raceways have to say.

Murff