Standing behind your engine...

Old 09-24-2007, 05:49 PM
davebat
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default KWilly...

What would you do if your were in the position of the shop's. Understanding you have many customers, how could you afford to stay in business?
Frustrating, to say the least.
Also, wondering, why is it so important to dyno a new build (other than finding out HP and Torque)?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:19 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: KWilly...

Originally Posted by davebat
What would you do if your were in the position of the shop's. Understanding you have many customers, how could you afford to stay in business?
Also, wondering, why is it so important to dyno a new build (other than finding out HP and Torque)?

Fine tuning thats it....as a matter of fact dyno for tuning suppose to be a primary function...not finding max hp/tq..altough this becomes a part of it AFTER the fine tuning......my last alcohol injected blown motor never did find max hp/tq cause we were on a mission to dial in the injection with correct manual fuel pump....i am sure we could have kept turning up the boost and exceeded the dyno's potential for reading hp..the one we were using anyhow..the operater said it was good up to about 1300 hp...so whats the use..
my 2 cents

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-24-2007, 06:26 PM
kwillymac
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by davebat
I liked it in my case because the engine builder broke it in to avoid me doing it. Also my first pull was 620 Horsepower. After fussing with the carb for a few hours and more pulls he found 50 Horsepower. I was happy with that result.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 PM
cboggs
SENIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice

Fine tuning thats it....as a matter of fact dyno for tuning suppose to be a primary function...not finding max hp/tq..

Brian
Brian,

I wish more people understood this, .. seen too many high dollar engine builds
go wrong cause the guy wanted to save $600 and not dyno tune.

Guys, Frank, all, .. REALLY REALLY good thread.
Now with the internet anybody can get on here a slam the heck out of
shop even if the shop didn't do anything wrong, .. and it
could cost people their business, their homes, .. do huge damage just
cause a customer didn't understand something, . . scary times
to be in business.

Kwillymac, I'm wondering after 4 years why are you bringing it up now?
Did you have a tech question?

Curtis
Old 09-25-2007, 02:57 AM
kwillymac
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by cboggs

Fine tuning thats it....as a matter of fact dyno for tuning suppose to be a primary function...not finding max hp/tq..

Brian
Brian,

I wish more people understood this, .. seen too many high dollar engine builds
go wrong cause the guy wanted to save $600 and not dyno tune.

Guys, Frank, all, .. REALLY REALLY good thread.
Now with the internet anybody can get on here a slam the heck out of
shop even if the shop didn't do anything wrong, .. and it
could cost people their business, their homes, .. do huge damage just
cause a customer didn't understand something, . . scary times
to be in business.

Kwillymac, I'm wondering after 4 years why are you bringing it up now?
Did you have a tech question?

Curtis
Well I was just curious what other engine builders thoughts were on this. I recently talked to another engine builder in this area and said in my case he would have made good. He said he has had to do that before. Considering it was broken in on his dyno and the cam went a few weeks after. He is friends with the engine builder that didn't make good. This guy didn't agree with the way it was handled.

I guess it has stuck with me for 4 years because I never recovered and haven't had a car out since. Guess I am still sore. I spent $22,000.00 on that 1968 Camaro in one year and I am still paying for it. I no longer have the motor or car because I tried to pay off some of the debt.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:17 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

ok Bill let me throw a wrench into this...say the person paid for the lifter bore sleeves etc...and the lifter still failed causing other problems...for the sake of argument lets just say it wiped out the cam,lifters, spun a cam bearing to where the block could not be straighten out with a line bore..bottom line customer needs new block, bearings,cam,lifters and what ever else it hurt along with all the machine work and assembly...how much of this would you cover ?

lets wrench it on up and lets say the lifters failed 1 year out after 200 passes or 2500 road miles, or the lifters failed during a botched valve train adjustment..( human error) that would be hard to prove or dis-approve after the fact...

My point i am trying to get at is Where do you draw the line as an engine builder ?..

not trying to be controversial but i can see a custom engine builder being put out of business real fast with some of the knuckle heads out here..

i am in NO WAY trying to defend these mass engine assemblers such as DYNO-FLO where the over sight was so obvious it hurt..

Brian
We fully warranty our race engines while on the dyno and afterwords if it is a problem that I feel I should cover.two years ago I 100% warrantied two engines,both super late model with aluminum blocks because of rod bolt failure. the first one made it through the dyno session and failed on the track. there was never a question whether i would cover it because it was obvious the rod bolt failed. the crank was perfect other than the large ding where it kicked the rod through the block,same with the bearing, bent but perfect. the second engine with the same brand of bolts failed on my dyno,I warrantied that as well. both engines cost me well over $15,000.00 and the bolt manufacture denied all responsibility so it came out of my pocket.
In the long run I made out because both these customers highly recommend me and have sent me a ton of work, we have also become good friends.
Bottom line,warranty work is on a case by case deal. I do what I would like a shop to do for me but I don't cover stuff that is obviously not a part failure or machine error. example of whats not covered. bottom end failure due to oil pump belt breakage or severe overheating. even then if its less than 30 days since we built the engine we will do the labor for free or at a large discount just to help the racer out. Bill
Old 09-26-2007, 02:46 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

GOOD BUSINESS DEALINGS ARE ALWAYS GOOD FOR BUSINESS----WAY TO GO BILL!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ---LIVELY
Old 09-27-2007, 01:11 AM
davebat
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Indeed, GREAT thread

Anyone know of a REALLY good dyno shop within a couple hundred miles from Cleveland. Ohio?
The machine shop I'm using has some really strange ideas so I'm not gonna use them. I'm putting my motor together myself.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:16 AM
davebat
JUNIOR BUILDER

Bill, what is that brand of bolts to stay the hell away from? And please don't say ARP!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:21 AM
davebat
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Me AGAIN

Also, where is a REALLY good place to get my heads built? Heads were ported (need to be cleaned up), intake (haven't decided on Jr. or Super) needs to be ported to match. Within a couple hundred miles from me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -