Which Stroker Crank for SBC 427 Build?

Old 08-01-2009, 04:59 AM
TheEngineer
MASTER BUILDER

Default Which Stroker Crank for SBC 427 Build?

I’m in the process of having a 4.00” stroke SBC 427 short-block built.

I’ve narrowed the crank down to either a Compstar, or Dragonslayer. The stroker will be a Little-M block, with 6” Compstar rods, 14.4-1 compression, Dart Pro-1 heads and hopefully make around 700HP (N/A only).

So, which crank should I go with for this build, Compstar or Dragonslayer?

WD
Old 08-01-2009, 07:00 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default 427

Well,
If $$$ is Not an ISSUE?Sinnce the Callies Crank is 900.00 and the Compstar is Under 600.00.Go with the Callies,BUT?I have been Hearing ALOT of G@@D Things about the Compstar Parts.................?
As a matter of fact!
I Just hurt My motor Last Sat.and We are Leaning Towards the Compstar Crank and Rods?$$$ Is a BIG ISSUE on My End!
Hope this HELPS?
Later
G 8)
Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

I tend to agree with BBChevy.
They are both heat treated and finished in the USA by Callies. The forging and rough machining are probably done off shore, but under Callies supervision. For the money, go Compstar.

Dave
Old 08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
promod45
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default crank

i would look into the howwards cranks they are forged in USA and they are machied at callies and are done to the exact specs as a callies crank and they are really nice i have used them alot in blower motors and im very happy with there stuff and you get them alittle cheaper then callies..
Old 08-01-2009, 03:38 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Dragonslayer is forged in USA with US steel and machined here. Compstar is forged in China and machined here.

Curtis
Old 08-01-2009, 07:16 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default C/Star

Originally Posted by doorracer
Dragonslayer is forged in USA with US steel and machined here. Compstar is forged in China and machined here.

Curtis
Curtis,
I was NOT aware of that??
Well since i know that now?And i have a Eagle Rod w/L-19 Bolts that Failed!I will be Waiting till i FIND some $$$ and BUY AMERICAN!'
THANKS
G 8)
Old 08-01-2009, 09:26 PM
TheEngineer
MASTER BUILDER

Curtis
I'm thinking the additional $300.00 for Dragonslayer will be worth it.

WD
Old 08-02-2009, 05:00 AM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: C/Star

Originally Posted by bbchevy

Curtis
Curtis,
I was NOT aware of that??
Well since i know that now?And i have a Eagle Rod w/L-19 Bolts that Failed!I will be Waiting till i FIND some $$$ and BUY AMERICAN!'
THANKS
G 8)
Did the bolt brake or the rod it self?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:12 AM
TheEngineer
MASTER BUILDER

Curtis,

I guess you race at TRP, I haven't been up there to race in the past two years. Last time was with my 97 Camaro at the CDRA finals in 2007 (I think). But I'm a hard-core racer and been racing all the bracket points events at TVRP for several years. I think I've seen your car before at TVRP (or one that looks like), if it is the one in your avatar.

I have a new tube-chassis Cavalier with electronics package, but I been racing it in No-E. I really like the No-E class and the new 427 stroker will go into the Cavalier. I would like to meet you, so possibly we'll run into each other at a race here in Oklahoma.

Warren Dempsey
Old 08-02-2009, 03:02 PM
supergass
JUNIOR BUILDER

The Compstar is actually brought in from Russia. They do look great. I would also look to the sledgehammer crank by Lunati. You can call them direct now that they own themselves again and buy there crank for 700 dollars and it is like the dragonslayer, all USA baby!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -