Burn out question

Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Yes that works great. The faster you get your tire speed up works the best. If you have enough HP you can even start in high gear. good post.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:58 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I start my burnout in second gear take her to 6500 rpm's shift to high, smokem good off line lock, let car pull out of water.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:17 PM
denn468
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

smoke smoke smoke
Old 01-08-2009, 02:57 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by russ67chevelle
IVE HEARD ON A TH400 BURNOUT TECHNIQUE IS BEST TO START OFF IN SECOND GEAR THEN GET INTO THIRD ASAP ON A ALL OUT TRANSBRAKE RACE TRANNY...CAN SOMEONE THAT HAS MORE INFO PLEASE SHARE???
Yes this is correct. Any tranny guy will tell you that it is best to go 2-3 with a TH400. 1-2-3 is hard on a tranny.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

I do a quick spin in the water as i roll through. Stop and engage Line Lock. As soon as I feel the car stand up on the tires I release the line lock, hit second (Powerglide) and burnout right on down the track. Don't start a burnout in 1st with a TH400. It'll f#@%k it real quick.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:40 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Never heard that about a T400.
I'd do a quick 1,2,3 till I got good white smoke then power out of it,
Ran my old nova W/ T400 that way 7 years ZERO problems.
Maybe ya'll need a new tranny guy?

To me it's important to be as consistent as possible, you can't John force them one time and the next time just haze them.
Pay attention and do it the same way everytime till it becomes a routine and very natural.

I do like alot of the guys above me mentioned but with a few variations.
I wet the tires by romping the motor once in the water box, pull up about 2 feet to where it's DRY ( sometimes I open the door to see this or have a spotter do it for me) Then pump the brake pedal a few times to build up plenty of pressure, hold the brakes down, hit line lock button if I got one, release the brakes, nail the throttle, (you can't ease into qa burnout) and when the tires start spinning over easily shift into high wait a few more secs ( I usually count to 3 to be consistent, like one thousand etc) and then power out of the burnout, no dry hopping, no reving the motor to 9K prior to staging or in the staging beams, if your doing that to "clear it up" you need to take it back home and work on it.
Then slowly ease up to the staging beams and pre-stage and then stop - concentrate- give everything a one last look see to make sure everything is ready to go I.E plenty oil pressure, fan and pumps on, engine at proper temp, shifter in LOW, then slowly bump into the last beam, take a deep breath exhale and most importantly think win!

Later, Cp
Old 02-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I have also heard that you shouldn't do aburnout in low with a 400....not sure why.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

That is news to me about the TH400 too. But then again, I have much to learn still...

Here is my tip: I was lucky enough to have an AutoMeter brake pressure gauge in my car when I bought it. I did not use it much at first.... but upon using the line lock, I found it to be helpful. Like CP said consistencey is important. BTW, my front brakes are the only part of my line lock... I am not sure what that post was all about talking about front & back. Anyways, I pump my brake & peek at the guage & engage my line lock at about 350 on the pressure gauge. It is helpful to know where those brakes not only lock the car in place, but how they are working when slowing down from 100 + MPH... if I see any real variance in my guage, I will be worried... it is dead on. If that guage reads abnormal, I consider my saftey at risk!! Scoot
Old 03-26-2009, 01:29 PM
harben
SHOW GUEST

Default Burnout

something else to concider, Find out what the tire manafacturer says about burnouts? as most street car tires dont need alot of heat, just a clean up! as they are very soft compound and you will just cook the hell out of them! also dont spin them in the water box much at all, as you will spin water up into the guards which will rain down onto your tires while you are staging! Not a great start to any any drag race!!