Band adjustments on PG's

Old 07-16-2009, 05:35 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Default Band adjustments on PG's

I just bought the book How to build a racing powerglide By J.W. High performance Transmission. and in the book it says to do a band adjustment every 15 passes. both my other cars had Turbo 400's in them. this PG is my first, and I love it, I just need to learn all I can about them. So if this Band adjustment is nessasary every 15 runs then it will be done. I just want to get some input on this.
Thanks Andy
Old 07-16-2009, 05:55 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

IMO thats crazy I never adjust mine, it dont roll and we are good.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:58 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

The band in our car gets adjusted every winter when the trans comes apart for freshening. No need to adjust it that much.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:26 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I don't adjust mine every 15 passes. That's pretty excessive. I usually adjust mine every 30-40 passes and have never had any band issues. You could probably adjust it once a season and be fine, but I have seen many pg racecars back out of the beams because they don't adjust the band. With the multitude of ways to lose, I've never lost a round that way......
Old 07-17-2009, 07:18 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Andy you can't listen to everything written. Pick a few people or techs that you trust and stick with them. Overall I think its much better than listening to alot of different people, especially as new as you are in the racing game. To much different info will just cause you to over analyze you situation....IMO
Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I'm with everyone else on this one. If the band adjustment is off, the car will usually back out of the beams when the trans brake is applied, if it don't roll it's good to go.

JMO

Zip.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:04 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks guys. and Parker your right I am new to this and I never want to screw up do to lack of know how. I thought that was a little excessive thats why I ask. so what I get here is if the bands need adj. your car will roll back when you apply the trans brake. hell my first Race durring Qualifing I ran out of gas at the 60' beam and had to be towed off the track with 500 people watching WOW did I feal like a Idiot :lol: . oh well that want never happen again.
Thanks Again Andy.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:37 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

So you've done that too eh? I usually do that kinda thing in eliminations though. I've run outta gas, forgot to turn on my co2 bottle, launched in neutral, (my favorite and thank god for rev limiters), had the chute fall out at about 100ft, shifted into reverse at 125mph (don't try that one, REALLY scary and crashes happen), forgot to turn the delay box on, entered wrong dial-in using crosstalk, and on and on......fortunenately I haven't done any of those things in quite a while.
Dparker is correct again, you can't follow everyone's advice. Kinda like machinists, and engine/tranny builders; pick someone you trust and stick with em.
Johnny
Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Johnracer

Johnracer, did you race a yellow Maverick at Bandimere?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:48 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: Johnracer

Originally Posted by fla1976
Johnracer, did you race a yellow Maverick at Bandimere?
Nope, gray/silver SG 63 Corvette roadster. I did run the Milehighs though. Lost 1st rnd, double breakout 10.487 to my 10.482 on the 10.50 SG index. I have some pics in the show off section. pics of my vette
Johnny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -