T-5 In Street Vega

Old 12-07-2009, 02:24 PM
lawlesracn
SHOW GUEST

Default T-5 In Street Vega

Hey Guys building a street cruiser occaisional track use Vega coupe. I have this T-5 from a late 80's Camaro/Firebird, I'd like to put it in the Vega for the fun of banging gears only. I need advice on clutch setup, originally the tranny was mated to a hydraulic clutch but would much rather go mechanical. Has anyone run this combo or have any advice other than the usual weak tranny i've heard elswhere?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:55 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Alot of mustangs used the T5 tranny but had a cable set-up.

If your crafty, you may be able to frankestien a late 80's mustang cable quadrant & pedal assembly into your vega.

Goodluck, Cp
Old 12-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

I have had great luck using the hydraulic setup and kind of gives you a little flexibity in mounting. there are some aftermarket kits out there for a conversion or if you can find a donor camaro with the pedals, master and hoses that would be great. its a lot smoother pedal feel than a cable in my opinion...

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

In my opinion, the hydraulic throwout bearing is much better than using a master & slave setup. Sometimes that area near the frame/bellhousing/header is tight.
Dave
Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM
lawlesracn
SHOW GUEST

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies all are viable options. As this is my first Manual trans Vega anybody have any pics or links to what the vega manual tranny setup originally looks like. I still have the factory clutch pedal but thats all.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:24 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default 5speed in vega

hey lawless i havew a vega(automatic). i belong to the h-body forum and we have a group of guys on that forum that has done just about everything to these cars, and done it well. you should join. dont cost nothing and you will get a wealth of knowledge. i have seen 2 articles on the very subject you are talking about. go to google and just punch in h-body and you will get a menue and go down about 4 places and request index page and you will be on . you should see how to join and in the meantime you can see all the posts and go back a long way for prior posts. if you cant figure out how to join then e-mail me at [email protected] and i will get the info for you good luck chevy art
Old 12-21-2009, 12:18 PM
lawlesracn
SHOW GUEST

Hey Chevyart,
I went to the H-Body following a link from an article about this guy and his all aluminum buick V8 conversion. I registered but never received the activation email. But while I have your attention. There is an ebay listing for a V8 Vega/Monza bellhousing, pedals, fork and cable setup. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT Any idea if this stuff will work with the T-5 from the late 80s Camaro/Firebird? The auctions ends like wednesday evening
Old 12-21-2009, 03:58 PM
lawlesracn
SHOW GUEST

Hey Chevyart, i tried the H-Body forum again this evening after work and I guess the moderator gods were watching i got my confirmation email immediately. Thanks
Old 12-22-2009, 09:02 AM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default lawless on h-body forum

whats you name going to be on the forum so i can watch for you and probably steer you to the right articles and guys to talk to chevy ar ps you can PM me on h-body if you want. thats a better way art