new to drag racing-what class is my car close to racing in?

Old 04-16-2011, 05:13 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Car?

Originally Posted by bbchevy
Brian,as I read thru His Posts.........?The LAST THING He NEEDS is N02!!!
Get the CAR Together,use the Parts You have!Then get some Laps in,and then with VERY Little $$ Invested.You can Decide what yo want to do ?

Personally,I have been doing this for almost 40yrs.Have I been down the N02 Road?YEP!Would I ever do it Again?NOPE!
Thats Stuff is NOT for someone that IS FRESH behind the EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Want to GO Fast,Put a ROOTS Blower on!But,thats another Day at the RACES..........................

Later
G 8)
BIG TIME DITTO !! It's a whooooooole different ballgame than on the street when you strap on a race car. LEARN, EARN, BURN !!!
The thing is, if ya start out with a VERY touchy, tune heavy, and powerful engined car without knowing what the heck to DO with it, you can become VERY disenchanted with the whole exciting experience when you don't get the results you are seeking right off. Racing and being competitive( and having FUN ) even on a part time deal, is VERY time consuming, money consuming, and a TON of WORK !! PLUS, you can get yourself or another racer hurt or killed . It HAS HAPPENED ! Too much car and too little experience.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:37 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I wasn't saying he was ready for No2 but rather what would be the smart thing to do as far as money and time is concerned due to the fact he already has NOS parts in place.I MEAN the guy already has Aluminum rods how much would it cost him to tear down and replace those..Yes people are telling him to replace those rods..so what $600 for what he spent on those aluminum rods, $500 more for a set of steel rods and $500 for gaskets and time for someone to tear down and replace with steel rods ????...sooo ummm $1600 change out !!.....I don't think so.. ?...He can run the engine on all motor as long as he wants but when the time comes to step up he will have it all there..instead of having go back thru a tear down and re-purchase parts etc......Just because he has an engine prepared to Run NOS or a Blower doesn't mean he has to run it with the adder in place

For that Matter place a blower cam grind in the engine and bolt a small 144 on the engine when time comes.....I am good either way...my response wasn't trying to get him to run NO2 or Blown...but to get the best bang for his buck while building his engine based on the current parts he has so he could upgrade at a later date by spening NO more money Now or Later

for the record
NOS is very safe and reliable power adder if its set up and used properly..and very safe at the levels he would be using.

I myself have ran both Blown and NO2 engines.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 04-17-2011, 07:29 AM
SuperComp1R
MASTER BUILDER

Default racer

yes, its a fact he will want to go faster. and it will save him time and money to do it the 1st time. he does need seat time and some common sense, 150 shot is very safe on just about any engine with no problems (just read and foliow the mfg directions) so it will be there when he wants it. i think i would be more concerned with the cast crank and the 10 bolt rear......just saying.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Brian, you are right about something I flat misunderstood. I thought he was planning on gathering the parts listed. If I already had the alum. rods I would run them. I gave my opinion on them based on having to purchase them or steel rods.

Curtis
Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by doorracer
Brian, you are right about something I flat misunderstood. I thought he was planning on gathering the parts listed. If I already had the alum. rods I would run them. I gave my opinion on them based on having to purchase them or steel rods.

Curtis
its all Good Curt..I just want people to know I would never push or urge someone into anything over their head from the start. As my last post said I was just giving some thoughts of what he could do to the engine for a minimal amount of $$$ NOW that will yield awesome results later on when he is ready for more power and Yes he will want more sooner then later..Same with a TQ converter Purchase..if he don't put a tight NOS type converter in right now he will spend a lot of money and a lot of hassle putting in a converter that will tolerate Nos later on...Many do not know that a HP converter will not work with NOS.....

just giving info on COSTLY mistakes or oversites that has cost me BIG TIME in the past that could have been headed off early on if someone would have told me.

If the original poster is a beginner behind the wheel.. the great thing is that a true Built NOS or Blower engine with Converter and gear ( without using the NOS or Blower) would be a very tame engine for a beginner to learn on...now when you hook the bottle up and pull the trigger or bolt on the Blower its gonna go BUCK WILD. It's what its designed to do...it WILL NOT haul the mail both ways.

Here is an example of what I am talking about using REAL #'S my car runs with and without NOS...also my car it is a 100% true built 632ci NOS engine/converter/gear. It will run 5.60's on motor with a 1.36 60 ft 125mph WITHOUT NOS .....turn on one stage ( approx 200 shot) and it runs 4.95' ish with a 1.10-1.11 60 ft @ 142-143 mph.

that's making up 8 tenths in total ET....Knocking .25 off the 60 ft time and picking up 18 mph....and trust me the number difference above doesn't describe the feel in the seat.

thats all from a 200 shot.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 04-17-2011, 12:25 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

HAHA JUST a 200 shot. That's from 700 to 900 in a heartbeat. :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Curtis
Old 04-17-2011, 06:16 PM
JBCustoms
APPRENTICE

I should probably give a little background on my experience. When I was younger i always had fast cars of some sort. In high school,I ran a 70 Chevelle SS with LS6 (wish I had that car now ). Anyway,I got into dirt racing. Sprint cars,running 406 with mechanical injection in the All Stars and 355 with inj in USAC. 1250lb car with 750hp gets exciting. I finally settled down with kids and work. I own an automotive repair facility and a motorcycle shop. I got away from racing for a long time. It was always,go to work during the day,get out of work and work on the race car,weekend comes,drive 10 hrs into Ohio or Indiana,run the races,go home and start all over again. We were spending $100K a year which was alot of money in those days.
Now I hear they are reopening a track near me. It was a pretty well known track back in the day tho I never drag raced before,I always would hear about Onondaga Dragway. So now they are going to reopen the track and i thought it would be fun to get an old car,get it together without spending a ton of money on it and have some fun with it. I thought the guys at the shop might enjoy having a race car around-something different than the same old repairs every day. We are pretty good with driveability and electrical problems that come with the late model cars and trucks nowadays.
I found the 65 Chevelle in Ohio and traded a 55 chevy truck for it. They were both projects and the truck was worth more than the car but the car was an old drag car from the 60's and 70's. it had been sitting outside for a long time and needs alot of work but it has a history and putting the car together is 1/2 the fun for me. It needs qtrs,floors,wheel wells,dash,basically everything. It has the original 10 bolt rear end in it with ladder bars. the rear has 8.2 gears in it but I do have a 12 bolt that i could fit into it but I thought if i got a spool for the 10 bolt,good axles and a rear support cover that the rear diff may hold up for awhile. I'd like to put 8.5 in tires on it so as to be able to fit the tire within the wheel well but maybe use a slick so it will hook up a little better. Onondaga is going to be a 1/8th mile track to begin with but they are working on maybe extending it back out to 1/4 mile within the next year or so.
The engine that i have is something I have been gathering parts for. I can not afford to make mistakes buying parts and need to get the most bang for my buck all the while planning for down the road. Like most of you have said,i know i will want more speed but still want to temper it so as to have fun and not get so serious about winning that the fun goes away like it did before.
The block I have had for 20 yrs. I just had it bored to 30 over. It is a high tin,high nickle block. I have a set of GRP 6in rods,12-1 domed Manly forged pistons,a very nice set of 68 2.02 heads that have good valves and springs with titanium keepers,ect. I also have Crower 1.6 roller rockers with 7/16 studs. Crane solid roller lifters,gear drive,7 qt oil pan with oil deflector. Edelbrock torker II intake and Holley 750 double pumper. I still need to get a crank. I'd like to get a forged crank but.....
The trans i have is just a TH350,it is built but i still need to get a torque convertor and it sounds like i need to change out my cam as well. I will call the guy who had the NOS setup and get that from him so that i can set it up at the same time as i do not like to waste money and time by doing something twice. I was thinking of going with a 4.56 or 4.88 gear with 26" high tires. any suggestions as to what convertor I should go with as well as what fuel system i should plan on? I get the idea that I will need to fatten up the fuel mixture when the NOS kicks in and the setup has NOS coming in on one side and extra gas on the other side besides what is already setup with the carb. Sorry for the long post but I appreciate the suggestions,ideas,cons and pros. thank you Jim
Old 04-17-2011, 07:25 PM
JBCustoms
APPRENTICE

When you talk of a NOS cam,is it something along these lines?
7.27-6.90 lift, 2.84-2.95 duration at 50, 112 lobe center I believe this cam would be too much for my heads. I would rather stay under 600 lift. I really would like to keep it iron headed if possible as aluminum heads were not used much in the 60's. Besides I have to spend enough money getting this car back together after decades of sitting outside turning into a pile of rust.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Well you certainly are NOT a novice in shoeing high HP Iron !
However, Drag racing is all about getting outa the hole consistently and arriving at the top end in one piece and having FUN doing it !
Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 AM
JBCustoms
APPRENTICE

Finesse is the right term for drag racing. I believe I will enjoy the tuning,reaction times,getting the car to hook up,ect. I always enjoyed those aspects of running on dirt. Sprint car racing is using finesse with brute force. I have mellowed out quite a bit and don't particularly want to get crazy with that type of racing again. I KNOW i have alot to learn about drag. Even the lingo is something to learn. I went over to another forum that deals with bracket racing and it was hard to keep up with the conversation. "bulbing,box or no box,footbraking it,ect. I have ALOT to learn but hey,isn't that what it is all about? If you are not learning something new every day the you are going backwards. As you get older,you start forgetting what you have learned if you are not progressing and building on the things you have learned.
Bjuice is right in that I should build this so that later on I can turn on a bottle when I am ready to do so. Anybody have any ideas on cams? I should probably move this to the engine section now. I want to thank you all for putting up with my ignorance when it comes to drag racing and also for the ideas,suggestions. Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -