Tire dabate

Old 07-06-2009, 04:17 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default Tire dabate

Hey guys I need some help. I’m gonna give you all the details and see what your thoughts are. We ( Mud Racers) run 2 different size tires. The great debate is which one is better. Now I’ll give you some details about mud racing. What we run is mud drags. Mud is only about 6 to 8 inches deep. You may not think so, but we hook up as hard as you guys do on the pavement so I want you to think this out like you would your drag car.
Both tires are the same brand with the exact tread pattern, but different sizes.
Tire 1 is 44 inches tall and 19.5 inches wide. We cut ‘em to make ‘em lighter and give ‘em a paddle tire effect. When the 44” tires is cut 50+ lbs of rubber is cut off.
A 44” cut tire mounted (on a light weight bead lock rim) is 125 to 130lbs.
Tire 2 is 39.5 inches tall and 18 inches wide. Mounted it weighs 85 to 90lbs
Now the debate is over rotating weight. Some guys like the lighter tire because they can spin it faster and easier on parts and some guys like the bigger tire because there is more tire contact on the ground.
It’s proven that it takes a lot of hp to turn the bigger tires, but I’m talking 1200+hp, so that’s no problem. One thing I’ll mention is that 95 % of the fastest Pro Stock trucks run the 44” tire. It’s not as easy for us to just change a tire to test it. Tires cost over $1,100 a set and cost $450 to have cut. It’s also not as simple as just borrowing a set and try it because if your not geared for it you will go slower no matter which way you swap. Tried that already. Not to mention not only do we have to change the rear gear we also have to change the front to match. We run 3 to 4 % overdrive on the front. So a gear change cost me double what it cost a drag car.
Just think about it as if it were you drag car. Wider, taller heavier tire vs small, but lighter tire.

Hope I didn’t confuse you.

THANKS GUYS!!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:42 PM
jim383
JOURNEYMAN

call Bobby,he build's mud truck's,he might can help you.904-226-2258
Old 07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Well, I don't know diddley about mud racing, but in a drag car, the smaller/lighter tire, geared correctly, will always be quicker if it doesn't spin too much. Most of us, including myself, are overtired for consistency.....
Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

call Bobby,he build's mud truck's,he might can help you.904-226-2258
Thanks.

Originally Posted by johnracer
Well, I don't know diddley about mud racing, but in a drag car, the smaller/lighter tire, geared correctly, will always be quicker if it doesn't spin too much. Most of us, including myself, are overtired for consistency.....

That's what I'm thinking. I've got a playback tach and you'd be really supprised how much hook I get. I think even if I changed my gear and went with the smaller tire I'd spin more.
What we do is no different than you guys. Just way different on gearing because we only run 200 feet.
Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks

Hey Zip you always seem to have some pretty good advice. What do you think?
Thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 06:31 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

I agree. A smaller tire will run the same as the bigger one if the gearing is altered. So the lighter one has got to be the better choice.