tub a 1981 camero

Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 PM
fastballcurt
SHOW GUEST

Default tub a 1981 camero

what's the best way to tie into the frame and back half a 81 camero. i would like a full tube frame but not sure on the best steering set up for a big block. also how far do you want to move the moter back?
Old 05-23-2008, 09:58 PM
procitation
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Bluebaugh Racing

I am not a chassis person but in response to your question..... I back halfed my 70 Camaro years ago before the onset of legal street car racing associations. The motor is set back 8 inches. Today this poses a problem. Many of the association rules require the factory firewall to be either in tact or in the factory position for the classes where a back half car could compete. Most associations have clear rules about the engine set back and other things that must remain factory. I would recommend that you check some association websites and read the rules before you start in on your project. Additionally, if I had it to do all over again, I would 4-link my car. The set up for ladder bar is very different. I am now faced with having to just run my ladder bar with less power or cut out the whole back half and start over. You should have no problem putting an after market rack and pinion steering in the car, which would be best. The challenge is just where to route the steering shaft. They make couplers today that can actually make fairly sharp bends, so this should work out just fine. The fabricated tubeing ties into my factory frame along about the front of the door at the frame under the car. Box style tubing was used for the framework and tie in, and then the cage and support bars are round tube. As long as you are going to this extent, I would get Chrome Moly and go forward with a funny car style cage that certs to 6.0. It will increase the value of your car and going with the greatest thickness/maximum use of bars/ more beefy than less will assure you than your car will remain in date for a long time. I remember way back discussing the bar thickness with my chassis builder. Back then they did not sonic test and we decided to go with a lighter bar. Now today, I had to pay to rip that old cage out and put one in that is up to date. Hope this gives you some insight 8)