Chevelle Frame Question

Old 04-15-2008, 04:44 PM
blaserman
JOURNEYMAN

Default Chevelle Frame Question

Anybody box or add square Tubing to finish the frame from front to back on a stock frame chevelle .
Old 04-15-2008, 05:10 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Good Lord why? They're heavy enough anyway....
Old 04-15-2008, 05:17 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by johnracer
Good Lord why? They're heavy enough anyway....
they are not called 'HEAVY CHEVY" for nothing....lol :shock:

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 04-15-2008, 05:32 PM
blaserman
JOURNEYMAN

Default Frame

Strenth , I puting a 632 10-1 motor in it I know it is done and someone has ideas. I have an i dea hoe to do it but would like some input.
I gess you never saw pinks that had the cadillac that ran 9 or 10"s full body.
This will be what I call a sreet car full interior , all steel , real Glass ,

I f I wanted to build a Race car I would buid a Tube Cassis Nova with all the bells .
Old 04-16-2008, 02:29 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Personally, I'd cage it. Since it's a street car, leave out the door bars or install swing outs. It'll take more time to install it so it won't be too much in the way, but will be much stronger than boxing all that frame......not to mention it may save your bacon if all those cubes get out of hand. If you REALLY don't want a cage, I don't know why you couldn't box most of it with flat plate.....
Old 04-16-2008, 02:55 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i agree with Johnracer....you can plate that frame front to back..but i personally do not think this is gonna give you the strength you are looking for ( in the right places so to speak) if it were mine and i wanted to beef up suspension i would concentrate on eliminating as much chassis flex as possible #1- is the cage. ( if not then the rest i am about to mention would be a must)

...front motor plate ( conventional or makeshift) same with mid plate,engine torque limiter...i would diamond plate the seams on the front clip.( see pic attached).. ...southside suspension,caltracs....

even a low compression 632ci ( if well built) is gonna be enough to put down some serious numbers.

just giving you some of opinions of what i would do if i were going your route..

hope this helps.

Brian

[img][/img]

Old 04-16-2008, 03:11 PM
blaserman
JOURNEYMAN

Default Frame

Yes I am going to Cage it but I thought with the cubes I would get some Twist. .
Thanks for the coments I was thinking the same way.

I know this is a Heavy car But did anybody ever here of Chicago
Outlaw Super Stock they run 3500 Lb cars into the 7's . Almost a street car if you read the rules. Not that I will be noware near as fast.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:51 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

yes i am all about the street car thing... true 10.5 outlaw (3k lbs) is where the big boys let it hang out.....3,000 lbs is the line in my head and many street car classes including 10.5...you can have all the bragging rights that a heavy car has at 3,000 lbs as a 3300 or 3400 lb car gets..in my opinion anything over 3,000 lbs and its a waste...all anyone is gonna hear is 3,000 lbs irregardless..

now again this is just my opinion on my end and 3 tenths on your end. ..lol

good luck anyway you go.

Brian

Old 04-16-2008, 05:23 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: Frame

Originally Posted by blaserman
Yes I am going to Cage it but I thought with the cubes I would get some Twist. .
Thanks for the coments I was thinking the same way.

I know this is a Heavy car But did anybody ever here of Chicago
Outlaw Super Stock they run 3500 Lb cars into the 7's . Almost a street car if you read the rules. Not that I will be noware near as fast.
With a properly built cage, it won't twist. I was just giving you crap about being heavy. A buddy of mine has a 72 Chevelle that we backhalved a couple of years ago. In fact, the RM 522 that's in my Vette came out of that car. He bought one of the new 23 degree RM 565's this winter. He ran an out of the box 9.04 @ 148 at the divisional in Tucson in 4000ft air. His car has all lexan, fiberglass bumpers, hood, & deck, all aluminum floor, and the stock rails from the dropped crossmember forward. It weighs 3025lbs full of fuel & him, so it wouldn't surprize me at all that yours will weigh at LEAST 3500 with a bbc. Probably closer to 3800 with a full cage.....
Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 PM
blaserman
JOURNEYMAN

Default frame

I knew that you were tying to wind me up.
Yea I figured 3800 lbs atleast that. My favorite car at our Track is a Tube Chassis Chevelle 496 run constant 8.80's no wheelies just strolling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -