Fuel Cell mounting question

Old 07-24-2007, 06:19 PM
lmccoll
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Fuel Cell mounting question

I would like to put a fuel cell in my car to make it easier to replace the fuel line to the fuel regulator instead of using my OEM gas tank. Car is a 74 Camaro.

My question is this, is there any thing special you need to do in order to put a fuel cell inside the trunk? I seems like a fire hazard with tail lights etc. Do I need to have sheet metal behind the back seat? Any type of ventilation needed for the trunk?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:49 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Now this depends if your class racing or not..but if your placing a aftermarket fuel cell in the back of a car just to drive on the street or be a Saturday night drag strip..car....the answer is NO there is no speacial requirments,,but never a bad idea to place a make shift firwall as long as you can neatly fabricate it....the tanks are designed to be placed in back of cars that run well over 200 mph...yes some 200 mph cars have tail lights also..i have one of them....get any fuel cell from Jazz,RCI ETC....be sure you design some good mounts to stabilize the fuel cell..
DO NOT run your fuel line inside the cock pit of the car..run along side the frame rails and tuck it close up against the underside of the car carriage and the frame rails...go ahead and get you an inline fuel filter also.. as far as ventilation..the tank will have a vent hole..just go ahead and connect you a rubber line and get one of those tiny air filters ( look like miniature KN) filters..they can be purchased from auto zone in the rice burner section...

next you can buy an aftermarket manual fuel pump and place you some #8 fittings to connect your fuel line from the tank..i say #8 cause i am assuming you running a stocker car...from the pump you can plumb on up to the carb...also get the pump that doesn't require a regulator if your car is stock.....

all this can be purchased from JEGS..anymore questions feel free to ask..

ohhh by the way ,,you most likely going to need one of those larger pro-street fuel cells..they also come with inner foam.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 07-24-2007, 07:36 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

BJUICE ANSWERED WELL --ONE THING MORE IS WHEN YOU RUN THE FUEL LINES STAY OUTSIDE OF THE FRAME RAILS SO IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING COME LOOSE UNDER THE CAR IT WON'T BANG THE FUEL LINES AND CAUSE A REAL PROBLEM!!! ops: ops:
Old 07-25-2007, 04:27 AM
lmccoll
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice, this car has become a drag strip only car. SBC with about 550 hp.

I was looking at one of the 5 gallon or so fuel cells. I was going to install an electric fuel pump too, should this mounted under the car near the tank or on the fire wall? I was going to mount a regulator on the fire wall and run fuel line over to the carb. Does it need a return line to the tank?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:10 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

I had a regulator on firewall, was told to move it, its now on my down bar to front of frame. brian answered your question correct. If you had a hatch back car or a wagon or a blazer, that is open like I do then you have to do things to make it legal, also if fuel cell is hanging low out of trunk, you have to build a sheild around bottom of it, unless it is aluminum, which is what I have to be legal
Old 07-25-2007, 05:53 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Mount the fuel pump on the passenger side of car and close to the fuel cell as you can..preferbly inside the trunk....be sure to have the in-line fuel filter coming out of the tank 1st then bring into fuel pump...so that the fuel pump is pulling the fuel from the cell into the filter then thru the pump ..the reason is it needs to be a short distance from the cell is that the pumps needs to push the fuel toward the carb.....

i would say a Holley Blue would satisfy your motor demands..if NO nos is invloved...a comparable upgrade for a little more money is the Holley BLACK..a little more flow and the ability to handle alcohol as well as gas..both are good pumps for the HP levels you are going to run....both of these pumps have an internal by-pass so that there is NO NEED for a return line..if you go with these bigger pumps like BG 400 OR MAGNAFUEl PROSTAR..then a #8 return line must be ran to the tank..you should not need this type of pump..unless your going to spray the motor..

mount the regulator in the area where Mark (SPIB) mounted his..if you DO NOT have a cage..then buy the carb spacer kit that has the built in regulator mount..very NEAT looking and NHRA/IHRA legal.

Brian
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 AM
margaritaman
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice
get one of those tiny air filters ( look like miniature KN) filters..they can be purchased from auto zone in the rice burner section...
BTW, those tiny air filters are actually full size intake filters for the ricers.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:25 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 AM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Default Re: Thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by lmccoll
Thanks for the advice, this car has become a drag strip only car. SBC with about 550 hp.

I was looking at one of the 5 gallon or so fuel cells. I was going to install an electric fuel pump too, should this mounted under the car near the tank or on the fire wall? I was going to mount a regulator on the fire wall and run fuel line over to the carb. Does it need a return line to the tank?
To be NHRA legal all fuel components (regulator, fuel pressure isolator etc....) must be at least 6" from the firewall.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:02 PM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

Also do not forget to gound the fuel cell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -