Running hot, (help)

Old 02-12-2008, 04:21 AM
daddylynch
SENIOR BUILDER

Well I had the same problem with my 86 IROC with a 383. Put a big aluminum rad w/ a shroud and electric fan that would pull a ton of air through it.put a aluminum water pump on it with a restricter in the thermostat housing, and it always still ran hot. Same temps up around 250 degrees. We tried timing we tried checking the water flow we thought the battery may be getting weak and the alternator was checked to see if it was puting out enough charge to keep everything running up to speed. We looked at the plugs and they were perfect.We looked at everything that we could think of. Our soultion finally was a guy called and wanted to buy the car as a roller and we sold it to him that way. Another local guy wanted the motor for a drag car, we told him everythng and he has ran it for 2 years with no problems. Dont know what it was but that engine in that car = 250 degrees. :?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:16 AM
3dracing
MASTER BUILDER

What Lively said it sounds like the fan is wrong and that may help.

Steve
Old 02-17-2008, 07:05 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

check the hoses to make sure they are good ones that do not collapse with vacuum / water flow

get a more powerful fan
Old 02-18-2008, 03:44 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by 3dracing
What Lively said it sounds like the fan is wrong and that may help.

Steve
x3
Old 02-27-2008, 08:05 PM
jwoods
SHOW GUEST

Default overheating

My race car was running hot and I found out that the system was full of air. The electric pump was not sounding like it was really putting out. I put a presure tester on it with the pump running and the the pump started whinning and that fixed it. So now I do that everytime I crack open the system.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: overheating

Originally Posted by jwoods
My race car was running hot and I found out that the system was full of air. The electric pump was not sounding like it was really putting out. I put a presure tester on it with the pump running and the the pump started whinning and that fixed it. So now I do that everytime I crack open the system.
HUH?