welding question.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:09 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Default welding question.

My 13 yo kid has been bugging me about getting a small welder and letting him learn to weld. I have never welded before in my life, so my knowledge is very limited.
My question is:
Do you think a small 110v wire feed welder would be safe for him to learn on?
The real issue I am concerned with is the fumes created when he welds. I understand the need for good ventilation, proper safety equipment, fire hazards, etc. Don't misconstrue that as thinking I know all the "ground rules" of welding. I don't, all advice is welcome.
I appreciate the advice in advance.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: welding question.

Originally Posted by hollowayshotrods
My 13 yo kid has been bugging me about getting a small welder and letting him learn to weld. I have never welded before in my life, so my knowledge is very limited.
My question is:
Do you think a small 110v wire feed welder would be safe for him to learn on?
The real issue I am concerned with is the fumes created when he welds. I understand the need for good ventilation, proper safety equipment, fire hazards, etc. Don't misconstrue that as thinking I know all the "ground rules" of welding. I don't, all advice is welcome.
I appreciate the advice in advance.
Rudy,
I WELD DAILY!!!
Heres the Machine you WANT.
LINCOLN SP125+ Or SP135+
Either of these 110V Machines wil Weld with my Large machines,and they are VERY User Freindly!
Should be able to find a Used 1 set -up for Argon in the 4-450 Range.
Then another 1-150.00 for a Good Auto Darkening Helmet.U
You will Need a Argon 75/25 Mix Bottle,either Lease or Purchase?
Hope this Helps?
Later
G 8)
Old 10-12-2010, 02:24 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Rudy, do yourself a favor and get the 220 volt Lincoln ST 180. In the long run you will like it a lot better than the smaller 110v welder.
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...t.aspx?p=59619

You can buy it (ST 180 or any of the small lincoln welders) from Lowes or Home Depot. Would make a great Christmas gift for him.I bought one last year, it was on sale and a display model ( took off another $50) for something like $550 with a cart.
Do yourself and him a favor. Get an automatic darkening helmet. It'll make learning a lot easier. Harbor Freight has some for $50.
If you don't at least get a full face helment.
You do need a good open area to weld, but you can't have a fan (or wind) blowing directly on you or the tip while mig welding which means you are kinda limited to welding inside with a mig.
You can change the wire to a flux core if you need to, but that's probably beyond what your asking.

The small welders are ok for most things you want to do around the house or racing stuff, but nothing like at least a 250amp Miller or Lincoln welder.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:26 PM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

10/4 on the self darkening helmet, i would go with 220 also if it were me, as he gets better, he will do bigger projects,
Old 10-12-2010, 05:49 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Ditto on the 220, Rudy. I used a Hobart 110 for several years run at WOT cuz I couldn't afford anything better. Built a car trailer with it and still use that trailer today. Problem is, with a 110 you ARE very limited to ANY welding that requires good penetration/weld strength. That trailer I mentioned is always a tad little 'worry thought' whenever I do use it. Needless to say, it is my backup, light loads one.
If you decide on a 110, get a name brand and stay away from the Harbor Freight type junk as they are very inconsistent and wear out FAST.
I currently own/use a good Miller 220.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Do Not buy a HArbor freight hood! yes you can get a small lincoln or miller 140 mig with a 75/25 gas shielded bottle.

The number one thing is make sure he has proper eye protection at all times. Auto darking hoods are okay, buy a name brand or go with a simple fixed shade that cost about $30 bucks. The fumes are not bad, do the work in a open area and clean ur metal.

I have done this everyday all day for a long time. If you need any advise i will give you my number.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:13 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

Ive got a Miller 211 "auto set", you can weld either 110 or 220 all you have to do is change the adapter plug and away you go!
It has come in handy when you can take it anyware and plug it to a regular wall socket. But also works great on the bigger stuff in the shop with 220.

What ever you chose will be a 2nd to time spent with your boy

cam67152
Old 10-13-2010, 07:04 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks for the input guys! I am going to do some research on y'alls suggestions and go from there! I really like the idea of having NO bottle, it worries me a bit (ok, alot) to have an pressurized cylinder around him in the beginning. Likely just paranoia on my part though. I unfortunately, have thrown an protective blanket on my boys since losing Jay. I HAVE to get that blanket removed!
Thanks again, if you think of anything else let me know please.
Rudy
Old 10-13-2010, 07:13 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Rudy, if you have a 220 plug I'll bring my welder (and everything else you need to weld) up one weekend and be glad to teach him a little bit.
A little help will go a long way for the first time trying to weld.
If you don't have a 220 plug I can see if my small generator will pull it. I already have a plug for my generator, but never made a cord for it.
Just let me know.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

That would be great Rabbit! No doubt, having someone give you some basics can make all the difference in being successful or not.
I'll feed ya off the grill......Steak and shrimp sound good?

I do not have 220 now, but I have the wire, plug outlet, panel space and knowledge to have it in a day. I have been needing to do that for awhile, I have a small plasma cutter that is 110/220. Runs ok on 110, needs that 220 "horsepower".

kwk, thanks for the offer. I might have to take you up on that.

If anyone is close that week end, come on over too!

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
Rudy, if you have a 220 plug I'll bring my welder (and everything else you need to weld) up one weekend and be glad to teach him a little bit.
A little help will go a long way for the first time trying to weld.
If you don't have a 220 plug I can see if my small generator will pull it. I already have a plug for my generator, but never made a cord for it.
Just let me know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -