Valve adjustment Help

Old 06-08-2008, 02:59 PM
rodsatheart
SHOW GUEST

I would just go with what's on the card. Probably wouldn't see enough gain to make it worth while.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
bigs1975
CRAFTSMAN

Originally Posted by prostreet1972
That CarCraft Tech article pretty much sums it up. Even talks about dyno results. I can completely understand why the other type of adjusting (no. 1 TDC and no. 6 TDC) is just a rough one of adjusting.

Another question though. I have a Lunati bracket master cam that I am about to set the lash with. Should I just go with the lash on the spec card, or would it be safe to tighten it up .005-.010? I feel that my motor would like the little bit more lift.
I've seen a few horsepower gain by doing this:Set the valves at the recommended setting on the cam card.Take a compression test reading on that cylinder.Tighten the lash up another .002 and take another compression reading.Keep doing this till you get the highest compression reading.But don't go more than .010 from the spec card.If it keeps getting higher compression readings after .008-.010 than you could probably use a little more cam.If the compression falls off than you have too much cam.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
prostreet1972
JOURNEYMAN

I am 24 and always a gearhead, but new to racing and trying to squeeze every horse out of a motor.

How does the lash make the compression go up? do valves close sooner on the compression stroke so it has more time to compress the gasses?

I just do that to one cylinder, then the rest would be the same, correct??

Also the cam card says that the center will make the cam 4* advanced. Does that mean that I need to install the cam 4* advanced?? Where do you think I will get the most power?

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1782&gid=245

It is strictly a drag car. Here is my set-up...third one up from bottom.

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...2839&start=180

I apologize for jacking the thread a bit.

Thanks for the help...this site is great
Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 PM
bigs1975
CRAFTSMAN

To tell you the truth I don't know how it changes but I know it works.True,You do it for every cylinder.
The cam card says it will be 4* advance if installed straight up.It just means the cam is ground 4* advanced on a straight up center line.Get the cam degree'd anyway to see if it lines up 4*.If not than you can have it dgree'd at 4* with the correct timing cain gear with the notches in it or set it up with a gear with adjustable bushings.Most good cam company's are dead on though.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I just read this whole thing & it hurt my brain. I only have tried once w/ solid cam (lunatti) & set my intake & ex to.26. I used the remote start, & worked my way to each int/exh. It seemed to me that the duration/lash stayed the same once set... never picking up or loosing tolerance until lift came in to play. As a complete rookie, I hope I did this right. Here's my question- as long as my motor is setup this way, will the valve lash always remain the same? As it breaks in & wears, wouldn't the lash/tolerance change slightly over time?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

If it is a solid roller it should not change. If it changes much you need to find out why. A roller lifter failure can and will destroy your whole engine.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:10 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I was told to set mine cold @ .022 all the way across even though the spec card says 28 and 30 hot. I talked with 2 guys I know that own their own racing engine service here in Memphis that used to do R&D for Joe Lunati and they recomended doing it that way.
They also said all that monkeying with tighter and looser valve lashes and using different ratio rockers trying to eck up an extra 1 or 1 1/2 hp is just plain horse hockey, there is just not that much hp to be made at the valve, better off spending that time and money else where in the motor. >Cp
Old 06-18-2008, 12:52 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with cepx.I set my solid rollers tight by .006" and usually works out purdy darn close
Old 06-18-2008, 02:05 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

i set int. and ex. as tight as .017 cold. u don't need .024 of slop.
it's a safety / margin of error for a cam manufacture to give you.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

so is there a best way for big(270@50)cams.I set mine @ tdc 1 at a time,and I'm joing to be checking it soon.I do it cold. :?:I have around 40 passes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -