Why do tracks

Old 10-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by gungho
They do it for the money,period....
Sorry to highjack but How about some pics of that chevelle in your avatar!!! I have a 72 I am building now it was my first car....
Old 10-18-2009, 06:20 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
But the main issue even with Crawfords hoosiers today was that it would not stay straight when it started making power after the shift, . Its a scary ride ... if I do anything I may put a 3.90 gear in it this winter to calm it down a little.
Dave, stupid question, but you have you checked the front uprights? You sure the vibration issue you had did not cause any problems? I know that we both make decent power, but I would not think enough power to shake the tires down track. The skating issue sounds like track and no matter what tire you had on you were going for a ride but if you have not checked, take a good look. I know that Bill White had an upright break on the front of his old Nelson and that created some down track issues. Don's Nelson that would be the same as yours had issues as well.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by shawnp
Originally Posted by hammertime
But the main issue even with Crawfords hoosiers today was that it would not stay straight when it started making power after the shift, . Its a scary ride ... if I do anything I may put a 3.90 gear in it this winter to calm it down a little.
Dave, stupid question, but you have you checked the front uprights? You sure the vibration issue you had did not cause any problems? I know that we both make decent power, but I would not think enough power to shake the tires down track. The skating issue sounds like track and no matter what tire you had on you were going for a ride but if you have not checked, take a good look. I know that Bill White had an upright break on the front of his old Nelson and that created some down track issues. Don's Nelson that would be the same as yours had issues as well.
When we did the rewire we checked everything over nothing is broken, I agree we both make good power but still shouldnt be enough to cause tire shake, but I can tell you saturday @ 131 it was so bad I put in high gear @ .30 out and 300ft out it was shaking the tire still. I hope your dead on with the crappy tracks causing the issue down track, I've said this car all along has stuck to the track in dewy stuff then anything I've had before, I hate for that to change now. I love walking on a track and your shoes dont stick ... :roll:
Old 10-19-2009, 07:12 AM
sc4405
JUNIOR BUILDER

Hmmmmm...... been reading these posts as well as on DRR about the 3185's, thinking about trying them next year. I read somewhere about VP's LC6 supposed to be a good cold track compound, just wonder what the track was using? My GY 2532's didn't fare too well in the heat of the summer, but in the last four weekends with cooler (80 or so) track temps they are printing the slips. It's only moved .02 in the eighth the last 16 passes, and ran dead-on with zero in the 1/4 last weekend. But still want to try the Mickey's, maybe get the freshest set possible next spring. 8) JB