Whats to cold to work in garage

Old 01-05-2011, 06:20 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

'bout 4 years ago when I was on my crash program to build the BRICK and get it ready to run the coming summer, I was doing 14 hour days in single digits, 10's,& 20's for 3 months. NEVERNEVERNEVER again ! Like some others here , I"M TOO OLD for the COLD !!! Even with a heated cushy shop I'm not gonna do as much time thrashing. Them days are memories now. At least we can say, "WE DID IT !".
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
et7333
EXPERT BUILDER

I agree since getting older,62 currently,I don't care to work in cold climate either but for some reason I still like to have my race car ready for the next season by December.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:56 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

r&r a tranny in a buick few years back top hill snowing blowing up coveralls temp with out windchill was 20 thought i was gonna literally freeze my nuts off. top it all off the used tranny was junk
Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
replaced 13 speed truck tran & clutch in truck with wet kit...dirt floor barn with a kerosene heated blowing under it....10 degrees.....I WAS A MEAN SOB TO BE AROUND THAT DAY !
I would have looked liked the Michelin man with so many clothes on I couldn't move much less fart.

I've worked outside most of my life, but thank goodness I live in the south. It's so humid here it's a cold to the bone damp cold. I've been up north in the snow with a short sleeve shirt and no problem, but here 40 and the wind can be miserable. However, that's nothing to what some of you guys deal with every year. No way could I live in a place that I had to blow snow off my driveway before I went to work.
My shop (garage attatcehd to my house) is so small I can heat it from 40 (that's as cold as it get's even it it's in the teens) to 65 in less than 10 mins. That's the only good thing about it being so small.

Without heat 50 or 55 in the shop is as low as I go unless it's a have to repair issue.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:43 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

My forecast for Monday

Mon
Jan 10

Rain / Freezing Rain

37° high
29° low

Boy this is gonna be a long winter. :cry: :cry:
Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

rabbit that t shirt and shorts weather lol
Old 01-16-2011, 12:41 PM
gump
SHOW GUEST

Never too cold to work on race stuff!Iwas just out in the garage in my robe and tennis shoes pullin apart a set of big block heads with the door open.5 degrees here in NW WI.Gotta love what your doin or it seems alot colder!
Old 01-16-2011, 12:53 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

well guys--i am 55 and worked outside almost all my life[ i just came home from putting shingles on a house--28 degrees] :?

when i built my garage i insulated everything i could and sealed it tight--i have an electric hotel heater in the wall but hardly run it---i just rebuilt the whole front end on a Dakota the last few evenings and it was 35-40 degrees in the garage[ my boys came out and turned the heat on BECAUSE they were freezing-they are 23 yrs old :roll: :roll: ]

i HATE the cold weather in ILLINOIS any more and think it is time to move south :lol: :lol:
LIKE OKLAHOMA--where i was JAN- MARCH last year :idea: :idea:
Old 01-16-2011, 02:10 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default coldy weather

Last winter, in jan 2010 I R & R the 4 speed in my red 70 chevelle.I put a mid 80's 5 speed in the car. Slight modification required. The Old G and I had a "disaggreement" and I thought it would be better to do something productive, (my other choice was drinking) . I was finishing the basement and asked her to pick a color for the doors, she picked it out (after 2 weeks) my 12 year old daughter and I painted them, and mama did not like the color (she picked out) My 12 old started crying, so I went to the garage to do something productive, that is why I play with cars to escape and enjoy life. 4 hours later I went to the store and bought some primer and paint and my 12 old and I started to do the doors again, they turned out great.The cold weather did not seem to bother me that time.But it does get cold in the windy city (even suburbs)
Old 01-16-2011, 02:47 PM
lanham
MASTER BUILDER

In the winter when i work in the garage i turn the heat on and get it around 50-60 degrees.I have and sometimes still do work out in the freezing temps but i don't like to do that at all.I am ready for the temps to get back in the 60-70 degree range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -