My 383....

Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Dragginby
SHOW GUEST

Default My 383....

I spun a bearing in my 383, and I'm changing out the cam in the rebuild. My motor made 428hp and 459lbs. It has 5.7rods, 10.7-1 comp. hydraulic roller 225int, 230exh @ .050, and 505int and 530exh lift 108lobe. I ran 1.6int and 1.5exh, Brodix 180RR with chamber cnc, rpm air gap, hp750, 1-5/8 headers. I changed the cam out to a crane, 230int 238exh @.050 and 539exh and 558. I beleive it is a 110lobe. Crane #119661. how much more power should I make with this? and do you think it was a good choice for a street truck.

It is going in my 63 suburban, 4.10, 700r4 3000stall.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:34 PM
speededeemon
SHOW GUEST

Default SBC

I went far crazier than you on the cam for sure! I learned the hard way as
I have tried any number of SBC combos in my truck. All were short lived!
Spun bearings being the main trouble.The higher in HP you get the shorter
the engine service life in the heavier bodies. I'd either drop the comp ratio
and do turbo or just make the jump on up to BBC.I did the BBC and have
been quite happy with the results! Gas mileage actually rose 1.5mpg! That adds up on a daily worker! I also see by the OD tranny you are trying to get away from the low geared rear end.Good move! I'd be concerned about the tranny strength though. I put a BBC in a friends Suburban we used 353 rear gears and the 400 turbo.He is really happy with the combo and getting around 17 mpg with all the power he could ever use!
The added benefit to me is I'm cutting down that Honey-Do list and playing
with my real toys instead of pulling those pesky SBC's in and out!
Don't get me wrong,SBC is a tough little engine.but you are asking a lot
of it on a daily basis.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Dragginby
SHOW GUEST

It is not a daily driver. I'm not trying to get good gas mileage out of it. I drive the truck to shows and around town. The overdrive is so it can cruise on the highway without going def. The 4.10 I put in to smoke the tires at will. It has a 30" tall tire. The motor is in my 63 suburban on air ride.