Picking a new intake for 454 BBC

Old 03-25-2008, 04:55 AM
bones427
APPRENTICE

i run a 454 -r on my 481 sq.port works great 2700 lb car runs 9.20s had it on a 431 and went 9.50s moving up to a 511 cu. see how it runs there next!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 AM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

I had a Victor Jr R on my 469 BBC with GM 188 heads and that made 697 hp at 7400 rpm. The intake was just cleaned up a little and the heads had some mild port work done to them. My 540 has a Super Victor on it. I have been happy with both intakes on both of my motors.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:05 PM
hettman
APPRENTICE

Thank you all for your input. I just purchased a victor jr, and on top of that just talked the wife into letting me build a 496. :lol:
Old 03-25-2008, 04:02 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds like that worked out good for you
I've used the 454R and have one sitting on the bench for my spare 496 nice intakes.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:51 PM
ronmiller
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by hammertime
dont get a team g ...
victor intakes are good intakes
Just curious, why don't you like the Team G intakes. What was the part number on the intake and what was the casting date on the bottom ? I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 03-29-2008, 02:21 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i can help out here ..when i took my new 454-r intake to my Port guy late last year,i ask the same thing you just did and he ( port man) did a comparable show and tell with me with each intake side by side looking down into the plentum..the team "g' did not have the direct alignment with the 1st two runners going into the head on both sides of intake..this was the biggest thing..which is huge itself..

My port guy said a team "G" can be made to work just as good as a 454-r but with a lot more work,(shortening front runners etc..and besides its metal you can make it what you want it to be..but the point becomes mute when you have $500/600 extra in making a team "g " work)...but he did confirm that the 454-r intake was a much better performing base line intake then the team "g".

i am a visual kind of guy..telling me something is one thing but showing me is worth a million words..and the difference i saw when comparing those intake runner alignments was NIGHT and Day..

i hope this answers some of your questions.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 03-29-2008, 03:15 PM
ronmiller
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by bjuice
i can help out here ..when i took my new 454-r intake to my Port guy late last year,i ask the same thing you just did and he ( port man) did a comparable show and tell with me with each intake side by side looking down into the plentum..the team "g' did not have the direct alignment with the 1st two runners going into the head on both sides of intake..this was the biggest thing..which is huge itself..

My port guy said a team "G" can be made to work just as good as a 454-r but with a lot more work,(shortening front runners etc..and besides its metal you can make it what you want it to be..but the point becomes mute when you have $500/600 extra in making a team "g " work)...but he did confirm that the 454-r intake was a much better performing base line intake then the team "g".

i am a visual kind of guy..telling me something is one thing but showing me is worth a million words..and the difference i saw when comparing those intake runner alignments was NIGHT and Day..

Brian
Hey Brian,
Thanks for sharing you experiences with both intakes. But you only answered half of my questions. The Team G you compared, was it the older version, non CFD designed or ??. I have seen that issue with the older design Team G's and some of the older Edelbrocks as well. I'm still trying to learn the Good & Bad points on the Team G's both Old and New. My thoughts on the new CFD designed Team G's look real good. I want to try one on my oval port 461 some time this Summer.

Thanks Again for sharing your thought, any body else care to add. Maybe we all can learn some thing hear. Hopefully hammertime and Curtis will see this and reply to this thread.

Ron
Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i am thinking it was the old "g"...

good luck

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 04-02-2008, 09:47 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by ronmiller
Originally Posted by bjuice

Brian
Hey Brian,
Thanks for sharing you experiences with both intakes. But you only answered half of my questions. The Team G you compared, was it the older version, non CFD designed or ??. I have seen that issue with the older design Team G's and some of the older Edelbrocks as well. I'm still trying to learn the Good & Bad points on the Team G's both Old and New. My thoughts on the new CFD designed Team G's look real good. I want to try one on my oval port 461 some time this Summer.

Thanks Again for sharing your thought, any body else care to add. Maybe we all can learn some thing hear. Hopefully hammertime and Curtis will see this and reply to this thread.

Ron
Ron,
Sorry I did not see your post. I used the old Team G, Like Brian said with a lot of work ($$) this intake could be as good as the 454R I changed to. I paid $100.00 for my intake off ebay bolted it on and picked up a ton. I am not fimilar with the new Team G intake at all so I can not speak for it.

Like Brian what I seen with the intake runners between the 2 were night and day. My team g did have some minor port work but basic gasket match. I've talked a few different people into taking there team g's off and also gained enough to see the difference. Maybe this is just the older intakes but I cant see going back to one. I purchased another 454R for my 496 couldnt pass up the deal $90.00 to my door. Hopefully this answers your questions.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:58 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Not trying to hijack this thread or anything but since were on the subject has anybody run a dart intake on their BBC?
I scored one on Ebay for $200 new in box, couldn't pass up the deal. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with them, good or bad?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dart/301/41124000/10002/-1
Thx, Charles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -