pcv or evac:which is better for drawing vaccum?

Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

If your really crafty you can go to your local bone yard, fab up some brackets to mount a old smog pump and use the suction side as a low buck vacuum pump. Works good and I've seen many used like that especially at my hometown redneck track here in north missisppippi, I've always used the header evac set up for my cars and I've never had any problems with them personally and I dont see why you should be able to use just one side of the engine if one of your collectors is tied up with a ego sensor. I've also seen then use old blower motor fan motors as water pump drives, I'm just a little more picky about how my stuff looks but hey if it works use it. ><Cp
Old 01-26-2008, 06:27 AM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

If your only racing, WOT is the only thing a race engine sees. The basic valve cover to collector evac is excellent. The issue comes up when you stray from the track and go for a cruise on regular civilian roads. Even if for a couple of miles , the evac then isn't working at 100% between idle and WOT. that is where the mech pump's all time presence helps from fouling sparkplugs and causes gaskets to weaken and leak. I am really interested in hearing if anyone runs an electric version. I will message the guy on RJ that is selling them to see if he will give us some feedback.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:54 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by caprice327
:idea: So when is someone going to step up to the plate and get a patent on a AFFORDABLE electric or belt drive evac pump for the high performance street guys and become a multi millionaire?

I would do it but I dont have the funds to get it started

they have GZ Motorsports makes a affordable belt drive set up. I would run without a vacuum pump anymore, very good investment
Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 AM
caprice327
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by hammertime
they have GZ Motorsports makes a affordable belt drive set up. I would run without a vacuum pump anymore, very good investment
I was thinking more affordable as in $150 for 12" of vac.

I ended up purchasing 2 of the Mr gasket kits

and modifying the 4 tubes with venturi holes to make better use of the exaust pulses. Im going to weld a 1/2" long piece of 3/8 tube over the venturi holes to help capture/accelerate more energy.

Whenever this happens I will hook up a vac/boost guage to the crankcase and post some video results of it in action[/img]
Old 02-07-2008, 02:51 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Where would I put the backfire valves on my car?My collectors are 10" long,then there is a 24" straight pipe and ends at a turndown?No muffler.Would it still go in the collector,or towards the end of the entire works?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:12 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

well I`ve been using an elec GM air pump (vac pump) with a voltage reducer to keep it running cooler,,pulls lots of vacuum, and I run the system open with a lite restriction on the intake end,,pulls way more than the header style evac,,,maybe 10 times more,,and you can mount the pump were ever you want,,only draw back is you need a good separator tank,,I use it mostly just for the track,,,and it works great,,,,pulls as much vac as my bros aerospace one,,and at least 1/2 the cost
Old 02-13-2008, 06:00 PM
GLADIATORINC
CRAFTSMAN

Sweet, I needed to hear from someone who uses the electric version. I just bought Borla header collectors which don't have the fitting and I am not tearing them up, so I have to run a vac pump. If I can't find a good deal on a mech I am definately using electric.
Thanks superstreeter.