Header choice?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:17 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by whitey70ss
what size primary tube should I go with?? I have 1 5/8 now will the 1 3/4 hurt me??
1 7/8 THATS WHAT I HAVE ON MY SBC,GET THEM COATED IF YOU CAN AS IT HELPS KEEP YOUR ENGINE BAY TEMP.DOWN AND HELPS WITH SCAVAGING(SPELLING?)
Old 09-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by montecarlo84
the super comps wrap around the frame and I had to slice the collector to bend it away from the power glide on the drivers side ,these headers were coated

the husslers are in frame,clear the gilde and are 1& 7/8 tube

How the hell do you put those on if they have one tube wrap around the frame? My super Comps are 2" on a BB ....Those are some goofy loking headers on yours...wow. Why do they need to be that way?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:41 AM
JEFF69Z28
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by Tod74
the super comps wrap around the frame and I had to slice the collector to bend it away from the power glide on the drivers side ,these headers were coated

How the hell do you put those on if they have one tube wrap around the frame? My super Comps are 2" on a BB ....Those are some goofy loking headers on yours...wow. Why do they need to be that way?G-BODY CAR. MY LEMONS HEADERS HAVE THE 2 INNER PORTS GOING AROUND THE FRAME ON BOTH SIDES MUCH EASIER TO GET TO THE PLUGS AND OIL FILTER THAN IT WOULD BE IF THE TUBES WERE INSIDE THE FRAME.CHECK IT OUT AT LEMONS HEADERS WEB SITE.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:29 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74

How the hell do you put those on if they have one tube wrap around the frame? My super Comps are 2" on a BB ....Those are some goofy loking headers on yours...wow. Why do they need to be that way?
You're kidding right? The wrap around tube is a slip fit around the frame. You can see where it connects at the slip joint just under the inside of the frame rail.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

the funny thing is I built the rollcage before I bought the headers and had a pipe right in the way of the header.so i cut it off
Old 09-10-2009, 04:08 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

tell ya what Guys..i have found out if your anywhere close to being able to operate a Mig Welder (spot weld) and you are decently mechanically inclined with some patience..order you some straights and j Bends and flanges from Alston chassis and Build your own........

i was scared to death to do this before..then when i got to working from the flanges out..it was nothing....spot welded the joints together then took them to a Friend of Mine who done a nice neat final Tig on them.

(besides its only metal..you can always regrind and start over long as you don't cut them 6 inches short,,and you still can corrrect that with fitting a sleve coupler)..i learn the same way with installing rocker panels and floor pans.

just take your time and make use of a coat hanger or something flexiable to help you with the the geometery of the primaries...

you would be shocked at how little you will have in those headers
sure beats paying lemon $1500 for a set....buy the way lemon has nice headers

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
tell ya what Guys..i have found out if your anywhere close to being able to operate a Mig Welder (spot weld) and you are decently mechanically inclined with some patience..order you some straights and j Bends and flanges from Alston chassis and Build your own........
You mean like this?

Driver's side has 10 welds in the pipes. All are ground down and nearly invisible, and will be when the powder coating is done.

I just finished up the pass side final grinding/sanding tonight. I'll get them tacked to the flange, tack the EGT bungs, and tack the collector tabs on tomorrow night. Then it's time for some TIG welding by Ash Bros (here from RJ) to finish them up.

It's been a fun project, and not overly difficult. The hardest part was actually taking a die grinder to the fender, knowing the cost if I screwed the fender or paint up, lol.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:07 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

SWEET :lol: :lol: :lol: LOOKING GOOD 8) DO THEY EXIT OUT THE FENDER BOTTOM?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:11 PM
chrisr
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Originally Posted by bjuice
You mean like this?

Driver's side has 10 welds in the pipes. All are ground down and nearly invisible, and will be when the powder coating is done.

I just finished up the pass side final grinding/sanding tonight. I'll get them tacked to the flange, tack the EGT bungs, and tack the collector tabs on tomorrow night. Then it's time for some TIG welding by Ash Bros (here from RJ) to finish them up.

It's been a fun project, and not overly difficult. The hardest part was actually taking a die grinder to the fender, knowing the cost if I screwed the fender or paint up, lol.

Hey onebadGMC, That is going to be one of my next projects due to clearance issues with mine running under the car now. Since you have experience you should come do mine for the fun of it. :lol: :lol:
Old 09-10-2009, 08:12 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lively
SWEET :lol: :lol: :lol: LOOKING GOOD 8) DO THEY EXIT OUT THE FENDER BOTTOM?
Not quite. Not enough room between firewall and tire to bring them out as low as I wanted.

It took 4 U-Bends, 4 J-Bends, 2 flanges, 2 Weld on Collectors, and 2 feet of 2.5" tubing to make what you see.

I made my own slip on collectors from weld on collectors because I'm cheap and have enough time to do so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -