Power to Manual steering question

Old 06-02-2007, 06:16 PM
dtperformance
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Power to Manual steering question

Do the make a manual BOLT IN sterring box to replace a power steering set up in a 69 firebird. I want to run my blown sbc in the car but cant figure out how to do so with power steering so I was going to change it over.

Any help on keeping the power steering or changing it over would be great thanks.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:37 PM
jaykz1000
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

put a rack in it and go with aftermarket pump or buy a factory manual box or manual rack...
Old 06-02-2007, 06:41 PM
dtperformance
SENIOR BUILDER

can you just buy a manual box and change it out with no mods(were do I get one just go to auto zone and ask for it ?)....What would it take to put a manual rack in the car?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:13 AM
jaykz1000
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

if u want a manul box go to the junkyards and look for a old nova/camaro firebird and get one off of them just 3 frame bolts and a steering coupler bolt and a pitman arm nut.. if u find it on a nova then u will have to use your pitman arm cause there different sizes.. firebird camaro is the same u need what they call a rear steer frame <gear box on the back side of the k member.. if u want to do a rack u can either put it behind the frame or in front in front u have to revese spindle arms around then and cut some holes and extend steering shaft... there was a good install video about a month ago on show called muscle car they did a nova frame... if u check in to it a manual box off a s10 will prolly work as well i know a rear steer box will work on cars with boxs up front but never have tried to take a front one and put it in the back... if u dig around u may find more about that... should only cost u about 20-25 bucks at a junkyard for the box...and basically is a direct bolt on..
Old 06-03-2007, 06:54 AM
dtperformance
SENIOR BUILDER

Thanks