1050 Dominator idle problem

Old 04-30-2011, 06:37 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default 1050 Dominator idle problem

I have a 1050 gas Pro Systems Dominator on my 496 BBC bracket door car. Ran it once last year and all was good. Cleaned and changed gaskets this winter. Ran it a couple weekends ago in the garage after putting the rockers back on, still good.
Changed oil and filter, top off gas. Started it today and now it won't idle properly. Off idle it seems fine. At idle it will only run if I add a little squirter every few seconds. Acts like it is lean on idle curcuit all of a sudden? I squirted
a little carb cleaner down all the air bleeds and going to change out gas with a fresh batch in the morning. All ready to head for the track Sunday except for this. I don't have another carb to try.

What do you all think?
Old 04-30-2011, 06:44 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Check for vacum leaks first. This could cause a lean condition at idle.

Mark
Old 05-01-2011, 04:31 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

May not be the problem, but I had some left over gas (Q16 in a sealed metal drum) from last year that would not idle at all. If not make sure to check all the simple stuff; wires plugs, dist. and ingnition box.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default 1050

Well, mystery solved I guess.

With fresh fuel, the idle is back to normal. Reach inside, turn the key, and it starts up without touching the pedal.

I think I know why too, now.

The 5 gallon jug I got the old fuel out of, had the oring for the cap laying in the bottom of the jug when I went to refill it this week. Maybe it wasn't really sealed and all the light ends of the fuel evaporated.

Thanks for the suggestions.