DON'T BUY FRAM OIL FILTERS !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Yes.

The HP filters fail too.
Samething engine starts to lose oil pressure for no apparent reason, friend of mine ran them exclusively on his BBC, after having this happen with several NEW HP filters he switched to a purolator filter and the problem went away.

Spread the word.

Tell everybody you know how crappy their filters are and too STOP using them, when the word gets out to enough people they will have no choice but to improve their product.

JMO, Cp
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 AM
dragrace333
SHOW GUEST

i have had couple explode on start up use wix now
Old 10-21-2009, 02:43 PM
crewcab632
SHOW GUEST

Wish I would have read this thread before I put a Fram filter on my 598 in my 96 S-10. It "sucked" the guts out of the filter. Getting ready to tear the motor down, real soon.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:36 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by crewcab632
Wish I would have read this thread before I put a Fram filter on my 598 in my 96 S-10. It "sucked" the guts out of the filter. Getting ready to tear the motor down, real soon.
It's all good just as long as it didnt mess up the motor.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:04 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by EJ48315
Clevite's H-series moly-graphite TriArmor bearings and a oil pressure dummy light are a good investment for keeping your engine alive after an oil system failure.

As far as a filters go wix on the hotrod and pure one on the wifes car.

And for your situation with fram I would call a lawyer that specializes in sueing corporations for not supplying certain warnings or information on their products to prevent damage to the property they are being used with.

These off the shelf type filters should have a simple warning like "not for use on modified engines"

And SAE oil containers should have a simple warning like "not compatable with flat tappet camshafts"
Fram filters will fail on a STOCK MOTOR, not just on modified engines engines.

I thought everybody already knew FRAM OIL FILTERS SUCK!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 AM
kickin472
APPRENTICE

Years ago on my racing engines I use to use fram, had no issues. When the season was over and it was time to get the engine refreshened and my engine builder seen the fram he had a talk with me about fram and it was all bad. So I went to K&N heard some bad stories with them here recently. I've had no issues, I think I have been very lucky and maybe its because we mud drag race and its only for 2-3 seconds a pass 1-2 passes on the weekend.
My engine builder likes wix and he has talked me into the Hastings filter, what do you guys think about that filter? Not trying to hyjack the thread but trying to find out whats good and bad.

Anthony
Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Wix is a quality filter as is a hasting, might even be one in the same.
The Napa brand is another good one, it is just a wix in disguise.

Purolator makes a dam good one too, the purolator pur one is the one I use on my racecar.

Re-cap:

Purolator > good
Wix > good
Napa > good
Hastings > good

Fram > NOT good

JMO, Cp
Old 10-30-2009, 05:12 AM
im4irl
SHOW GUEST

Wix, Carquest, and NAPA are the same filter...
Old 10-30-2009, 06:24 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

THE GOOD STUFF 8)
Old 10-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

"So I went to K&N heard some bad stories with them here recently".

Much like Oil, everyone has opinion/bad story or knows someone who has a bad story about a filter such as a K & N for example. I have used the K & N on my last 2 oil changes & had zero problems... been lucky too.

On thing I do know, the lowest form of life is a FRAM corporate lawyer... the only lower thing in life is a FRAM filter... after that, you have Obama.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -